Struggling NC symphony says show will go on
CHARLOTTE — Leaders of the struggling symphony in North Carolina’s largest city say they’re certain the show will go on next year.
The Charlotte Observer reported Tuesday the Charlotte Symphony, once in jeopardy of shutting down, is now less than $100,000 away from its urgent fundraising target of $1.77 million.
The symphony’s executive director says if it can raise the final $100,000, the nonprofit Arts & Science Council of Charlotte will come through with a $900,000 grant it had threatened to pull amid concerns about the orchestra’s viability.
Leaders say Wells Fargo’s $100,000 gift last week helped to boost local confidence in the symphony.
The symphony met its yearly subscription ticket sales goal of $1.3 million, a $500,000 increase over last year.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Leaders of the struggling symphony in North Carolina’s largest city say they’re certain the show will go on next year.
Story summary image
More: continued here