Walmart pulls formula after baby’s death
LEBANON, MO (AP) — A Walmart spokeswoman says the company has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from more than 3,000 stores nationwide after a newborn Missouri boy became gravely ill with a suspected infection and died after being taken off life support.
Dianna Gee said Wednesday the move is cautionary as health officials investigate Sunday’s death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett of Lebanon, MO.
No government recall has been ordered for the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1K7G.
The Lebanon Daily Record reports Avery received a preliminary diagnosis of infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii.
The formula’s manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition, says the batch tested negative for the bacterium. Spokesman Christopher Perille says it’s unclear if other companies received formula from that batch.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
More: continued here