Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire

HAVELOCK, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina man is dead after police
say he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a

Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after
43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was
transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early
Tuesday morning.

City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning
was at a friend’s apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of
gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a
gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke
a cigarette and burst into flame.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their
investigation into the accident.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More: continued here

Be Sociable, Share!


News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina