Planned Parenthood says NC budget targets it again
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Planned Parenthood believes it’s being targeted a second time by North Carolina legislators with another budget provision withholding money from the group to provide non-abortion services.
A House budget subcommittee approved a spending plan Thursday containing a provision barring the Department of Health and Human Services from providing money for family planning and pregnancy prevention beyond local health departments.
Last year’s budget identified Planned Parenthood by name in denying funds for the group. A judge issued a temporary injunction preventing enforcement of that provision.
Melissa Reed with Planned Parenthood Health Systems said the new provision still aims at the group and could mean the loss of $343,000. Some lawmakers don’t like that Planned Parenthood performs abortions and promotes pro-choice policies.
The subcommittee defeated an amendment Thursday to remove the provision.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More: continued here