Parking, traffic info for Wilmington fireworks
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Heading downtown tonight for the big Battleship Blast fireworks show? The City of Wilmington has some important information about the festivities, as well as traffic and parking.
- Street fair: 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Fireworks: 9:05 pm
- Along Water Street in historic downtown Wilmington
- Music provided by L Shape Lot in Riverfront Park
- Click here for printable map with parking and exit information
Vehicles should park on the side of downtown (with Chestnut Street being the dividing line) that is closest to the direction they will travel after the fireworks have ended.
- Traffic parked south of Chestnut Street will be diverted south by the police department toward Market Street, Dawson Street and the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge – includes the City parking decks in the 100 block of Market Street and in the 100 block of N. 2nd Street.
- Traffic parked north of Chestnut Street will be diverted north by the police department towards MLK Parkway and the Isabel Holmes Bridge – includes the NHC parking deck in the 200 block of N. 2nd.
Expect delays when arriving and leaving the downtown area due to large volumes of traffic for the event.
- Those using parking decks can expect longer delays due to high volumes of traffic exiting at one time.
- No standing, stopping or parking on bridges, roadways or along medians on route 17, 74/76, 133 or 421 – police will monitor these areas and towing will be enforced.
- A detour will occur at the 421 N. ramp from 74/76 as early as 6:00 pm or when necessary.
- For traffic informationcall 511 or visit the NCDOT TIMS website.
Parking decks are located in the following areas:
- 115 Market St.
- 114 N. 2nd St.
- 212 N. 2nd St.
- 515 Nutt St. (Wilmington Convention Center)
- Parking decks will charge a $7.00 event fee
- Parking on street is FREE
- Event area along Water St. to close at 1:30 pm for setup; Chestnut between Front and 3rd to close as early as 5:00 pm for WPD staging/traffic purposes.
- Streets west of 3rd St. towards the river to close as early as 6:00 pm (once parking is no longer available streets will close).
More: continued here