Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Oceanfront owners get break on dune repair after Sandy

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The state is giving oceanfront property owners a break to take care of some of the damage left behind in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

Oceanfront property owners with beach and dune erosion caused by Sandy can get a Coastal Area Management Act (CAMA) emergency general permit for beach bulldozing for the reconstruction of primary and frontal dune systems.

The emergency permit regulations speed up the authorization process for permit approval. The rules also waive permit fees for these projects. The permit does not eliminate the need to obtain any other required state, local or federal authorization.

Dee Freeman, secretary of the NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources, activated the general permit today, for use in the Ocean and Inlet Hazard Areas of North Carolina’s eight oceanfront counties: Brunswick, Carteret, Currituck, Dare, Hyde, New Hanover, Onslow and Pender. Work authorized under the emergency general permits must be completed by Nov. 1, 2013.

The permit may be used only to authorize beach bulldozing for the reconstruction of primary and frontal dune systems.

If you would like to apply for the emergency general permit, here’s how you can help Coastal Management review your request as quickly as possible:

1. Please make your request in person at the NC Division of Coastal Management office that covers your county: Pitt Center, 6 Skyline Road, Southern Shores (temporary office);1367 U.S. 17 South, Elizabeth City (Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Pasquotank and Perquimans counties); 400 Commerce Ave., Morehead City (Carteret, Craven and Pamlico counties, and the White Oak River bank in Onslow County); 943 Washington Square Mall, Washington (Beaufort, Bertie, Hertford, Hyde, Tyrrell and Washington counties); 127 Cardinal Drive Ext., Wilmington (Brunswick, New Hanover and Pender counties, Onslow County south of the New River, and Topsail Island).

2. Bring with you a description of the extent of the proposed dune reconstruction, including dimensions and shoreline length. Pre- and post-storm pictures of the project are helpful.

3. Provide your name, address, phone number and the project location. Include any detailed information that will be helpful, such as the state road number, the name of the water body and the name of the development.

4. If you have had any other CAMA permit on your property, please tell the division. Those permits may contain information that will help staff in the NC Division of Coastal Management review your repair or replacement request.

Property owners with questions should call their local NC Division of Coastal Management office: Elizabeth City, (252) 264-3901; Morehead City, (252) 808-2808 or (888) 4RCOAST (1-888-472-6278); Washington, (252) 946-6481; or Wilmington, (910) 796-7215.

More: continued here

Be Sociable, Share!


News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina