Tornadoes a threat for SE NC today
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The StormTrack 3 Weather Team is tracking a powerful winter storm racing towards NC that could produce damaging winds and tornadoes across the area today. This has the potential to be a dangerous situation this afternoon.
The cold front that will spark these thunderstorms will approach the area by lunchtime, which will coincide with the best heating of the day – making it easier to form thunderstorms. When strong storms form, it will be easy for them to start to rotate and possibly form tornadoes.
The best window for severe storms will be between 11am-5pm. As mentioned, damaging winds as high as 75 mph will be possible in any thunderstorms, and isolated strong tornadoes are a threat – particularly away from the coast.
HAVE A PLAN
- If a tornado threatens, it’s best to be is low to the ground away from windows. Locate an interior room on your home’s lowest floor. This often may be a bathroom or even a closet. Locate this and make sure your family knows where to go if a tornado warning is issued for your area.
- Make sure you have a way to receive warnings. The StormTrack 3 Weather Team has many ways to provide you with this potentially live saving information.
- Download the StormTrack 3 Mobile App for your smart phone. This receives warnings and can notify you in the event of a storm, even if the power is out.
- Follow WWAY and our meteorologists on Facebook (WWAY, Meteorologist Tim Buckley) and Twitter (@wway, @TimBuckleyWX) for constant storm updates
- Stay with us on-air and online. If a tornado warning is in place, we will broadcast live and stream it on our website until the threat passes.
We’ll provide updates throughout the day until the storm passes. You can count on us!
– Meteorologist Tim Buckley
More: continued here