Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Suspect in deputy-involved shooting had weapon charged dropped last year

DariusHester.jpg

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — We are learning more about the 23-year-old man shot by a New Hanover County deputy last week.

Court documents show this is not the first time darius hester has been accused of having a weapon, but the last time he got out of it.

Hester was scheduled to make his first appearance in court this afternoon. He did not make it, because he is still recovering at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.

Hester is charged with attempted first degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon on a government official.

The Sheriff’s Office says Dep. Joshua Cranford was on patrol in the Rockhill Road area in Castle Hayne Friday when he encountered Hester. According to an arrest warrant, Hester took a 9 mm semi-automatic Luger from his waistband and tried to shoot cranford.

Neither the Sheriff’s Office nor the SBI, which is handling the investigation into the shooting, are not saying what led to incident. Dep. Cranford is on administrative leave as the investigation continues.

The suspect’s younger sister, who did not want to go on camera, says Hester was shot in the back right shoulder, like he was “walking away.” She said she was able to see her brother briefly Friday after the shooting, but has not seen him since.

Court documents show Hester was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon and possession of drug paraphernalia in July 2012. His file also shows that he performed 10 hours of community service after his arrest and also had to follow an overnight curfew. The district attorney later dismissed the charges.

We tried to find out from the DA’s office why hester’s charges were dismissed and how his community service and curfew may have played into the decision to drop the charges. The prosecutor who handled the case has not yet returned our calls.

More: continued here

Be Sociable, Share!
 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina