UPDATE: Suspect in deputy-involved shooting now in jail, had weapon charge dropped last year
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The 23-year-old man shot by a New Hanover County Deputy last week is now in the New Hanover County Jail.
Darius Hester was booked around 7:00 P.M.
Court documents show Darius Hester has been accused before of having a weapon before, but the last time he got out of it.
Hester was scheduled to make his first appearance in court this afternoon. He did not make it, because he was still recovering at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
Hester is charged with attempted first degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon on a government official.
The Sheriff’s Office says Dep. Joshua Cranford was on patrol in the Rockhill Road area in Castle Hayne Friday when he encountered Hester. According to an arrest warrant, Hester took a 9 mm semi-automatic Luger from his waistband and tried to shoot cranford.
Neither the Sheriff’s Office nor the SBI, which is handling the investigation into the shooting, are not saying what led to incident. Dep. Cranford is on administrative leave as the investigation continues.
The suspect’s younger sister, who did not want to go on camera, says Hester was shot in the back right shoulder, like he was “walking away.” She said she was able to see her brother briefly Friday after the shooting, but has not seen him since.
Court documents show Hester was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon and possession of drug paraphernalia in July 2012. His file also shows that he performed 10 hours of community service after his arrest and also had to follow an overnight curfew. The district attorney later dismissed the charges.
More: continued here