Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Brunswick Co. Board of Education approves employee bonus


BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — Teachers and principals in Brunswick County will soon see an increase in pay, and employees can also expect a bonus check, according to a release from a spokeswoman with the school system.

District spokeswoman Jessica Swencki says the boost in pay comes after the Brunswick County Board of Education approved the 2013-2014 budget during a retreat held Wednesday.

According to the release, Swencki said “the most noted in the [budget] approval was a revision to the 2013-2014 supplement schedule which provides an increase for teachers, assistant principals, elementary, and middle school principals.” She added that the Board also approved a one-time $1000 bonus for employees.

The release goes on to say that “spending efficiencies are credited for the ability to provide this one time bonus for all full-time employees,” according to finance officer Freyja Cahill. “Part-time employees will receive a pro-rated amount.”

Swencki also included a break-down in how the pay increases will effect teachers who are just beginning their career in the classroom. According to the release, “For a beginning teacher the bonus equates to a 3.2% pay increase.” The release says that number, “combined with the revised supplement schedule rate of 7.7%, a beginning teacher in Brunswick County receives a 10.9% local supplement to the state’s base salary.”

Finally, once the bonus is combined with the supplement schedule, the boost will “equate to a 7% pay increase for an employee making $20,000 per year,” according to the release.

School district Superintendent Edward Pruden says he’s happy to reward such hard workers with the bonus. In the release, Pruden said, “The bonus in no way mitigates the need for significant and permanent increases to teacher salaries. North Carolina is $10,000 behind all border states.”

Board of Education Chairman Charles Miller agreed in the release, adding that the money is worth every penny, in an effort to keep outstanding teachers in the classroom.

According to the release, employees can expect the bonus in November.

More: continued here

Be Sociable, Share!


News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina