Defrosting freezer blamed for apartment fire near UNCW
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Investigators say an unattended heater left to thaw a freezer led to a fire that damaged an apartment building near UNCW this morning.
Firefighters say everyone got out safely after the fire broke out around 10:30 a.m. at Campus Edge Apartments at 454 Racine Dr. When they arrived they found heavy smoke and flames coming from Building E, Wilmington Fire Department spokesman David Hines said.
Hines says the fire has been ruled accidental. It caused an estimated $75,000 worth of damage.
Photo courtesy: Monte Coughlin
More: continued here