Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for June, 2009

NC judge allows some claims in priest abuse trial

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009

Video

Body

CHARLOTTE — A North Carolina judge is allowing some claims in a lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte to move forward.

The Charlotte Observer reported Tuesday that the lawsuit alleges that church officials covered up the sex crimes of the Rev. Robert Yurgel, who pleaded guilty to a sex offense in February. He was sentenced to at least seven years in prison. The victim was an alter boy at St. Matthew Catholic Church in Charlotte in the 1990s when the abuse occurred.

The Charlotte Diocese denies that officials knew of abuse allegations until Yurgel was arrested last year. They had sought dismissal of the lawsuit by the victim.

Mecklenburg Superior Court Judge David Lee has dismissed some claims but is allowing claims of fraud, civil conspiracy and breach of fiduciary duty to move forward.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Story image

Story summary

A North Carolina judge is allowing some claims in a lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte to move forward.

Story summary image

Associated poll

More: continued here

NC investigating nude photos of mental patient

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009

Video

Body

BUTNER, N.C. — Two state employees are on paid leave while allegations are investigated that a partially nude photo of at least one patient was taken with a cell phone at a North Carolina
mental hospital.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday that officials said the employees were sent home last week after the picture of a partially nude male was found on a hospital-provided cell phone.

Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman Renee McCoy says the alleged incident took place at Central Regional Hospital in Butner.

The Butner Public Safety Division and the State Bureau of Investigation are cooperating in the probe.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Story image

Story summary

Two state employees are on paid leave while allegations are investigated that a partially nude photo of at least one patient was taken with a cell phone at a North Carolina
mental hospital.

Story summary image

Associated poll

More: continued here

New tobacco regulations may be ticket to quit

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009

Body

So how are the new regulations on tobacco being received here? Smokers NewsChannel 3 spoke with said they understand looking out for people’s health. And while some do not necessarily agree with how the president is going about these new regulations, they said the law may be the ticket to help them quit.

Bryon Cmar has been smoking cigarettes for ten years and said he wants to quit. The new tobacco regulations signed into law Monday may be the extra push he needs. Among the new regulations is banning certain flavors of cigarettes. Cmar only lights up menthols, and said if it would ever come down to banning those, he would kick the habit. “I don’t have any big problems with the regulations, but if the menthol wasn’t there, I probably wouldn’t smoke,” he said.

Alyssa Shelton also only smokes menthols. She supports larger warning signs and other preventative measures to protect kids, but her support ends with restricting the sale of certain kinds of tobacco. “It’s going to make people lose money, like the cigarette stores around town,” she said. “A lot of people are going to quit smoking, probably including me.”

While she does want to quit eventually, Shelton said she doesn’t want to be forced to do so by the government. “I want to be able to quit on my own terms and not because I have to, because it’s too expensive or because they’re just taking away the kinds of cigarettes I like to smoke.”

Advocates of the bill said it will help save some of the 400,000 people who die from smoking related illness in the US each year. Cmar added, “If you can stop kids from smoking, I don’t think that that’s a bad thing. It’s bad for the ones of us that do smoke, but if we can stop a habit then why not?”

Story image

tobacco300.jpg

Story summary

videoSo how are the new regulations on tobacco being received here? Smokers NewsChannel 3 spoke with said they understand looking out for people’s health. And while some do not necessarily agree with how the president is going about these new regulations, they said the law may be the ticket to help them quit.

Story summary image

tobacco150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

SC Governor Sanford missing?

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009

Video

Body

While Governor Perdue has toured the state the last week looking for support on the budget, folks in South Carolina are simply looking for their governor.

A spokesman for Mark Sanford said the governor is hiking the Appalachian Trail, which explains his perplexing absence.

Spokesman Joel Sawyer had said earlier Monday he was not aware that anyone on staff had spoken to the governor since Thursday. First Lady Jenny Sanford said Monday she had not spoken with her husband for several days, including Father’s Day.

The Sanford’s have four sons.

Story image

sanford300.jpg

Story summary

While Governor Perdue has toured the state the last week looking for support on the budget, folks in South Carolina are simply looking for their governor.

Story summary image

sanford150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

Pender horses cleared to go home, haven’t been picked up

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009

Video

Body

It has been more than a month since investigators in Pender County removed ten malnourished horses from their owners. Now the owners have been cleared to take some of the horses back, but had not done so as of Monday night.

Lisa Watts has been taking care of the horses at Scotts Hill Stables. She said a vet has determined that five or six can be returned to Billy Joe, Larry Suttles and Laura Westbrock. She said the horses are making progress, and a judge ordered the vet to check on them a few times over the next year.

Watts is nervous about what will happen after that time, and has some advice for the owners. “Just take care of them. Sell the ones you don’t want, keep the ones you do want, keep the numbers down, and just make sure they’re being taken care of.”

A judge sentenced the horses’ owners to unsupervised probation. Watts said she is not happy with the court decision to leave the decision up to a vet rather than a judge.

Story image

penderhorses300.jpg

Story summary

It has been more than a month since investigators in Pender County removed ten malnourished horses from their owners. Now the owners have been cleared to take some of the horses back, but had not done so as of Monday night.

Story summary image

penderhorses150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina