Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for August, 2009

Pender County looks for new boat ramp location

Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

Video

Body

Pender County is back to square one when it comes to building a new public boat ramp.

Commissioners had until July 31st to use a $3 million grant from the state. The purchase of land along Lewis Road in Hampstead fell through. Now the county has to re-apply for the grant and find a location by August 17th.

Commissioner David Williams said the county will re-apply, and present more than one potential location for the new boat ramp.

Story image

penderramp300.jpg

Story summary

Pender County is back to square one when it comes to building a new public boat ramp.

Commissioners had until July 31st to use a $3 million grant from the state.

Story summary image

penderramp150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

Testing confirms algae taint in Brunswick County water

Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

By Ana RibeiroAna.Ribeiro@StarNewsOnline.com

UNCW has confirmed an algae bloom is to blame for that funky taste in the Brunswick County water.

More: continued here

Jap Davis Field House put out to pasture

Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

Body

The field house for the New Hanover High School football team was deemed imminently dangerous in December of 2007, but players and coaches have continued to use it until recently.

Everything inside the field house was removed last week and Tuesday night the New Hanover County School Board will discuss its future.

The Jap Davis Field House is off limits to players and coaches; in fact everyone for that matter.

It sits empty now. The building used to be the afternoon haunt for Sonny Jurgenson, Roman Gabriel, Trot Nixon and another thousand New Hanover Wildcats.

The Davis Field House has an endless list of problems though, too many to name.

In summary, it’s been deemed unsafe.

Keith Moore is the Director of Athletics at New Hanover and he’s looking for a quick solution. “It seems like the one that might work the best for us is if we’re allowed to proceed with the renovations of the existing building, and if nothing else get the kids back onto the first floor where they can utilize the locker rooms, restrooms and shower facilities.”

The New Hanover High School football team will practice every morning until the new school year cranks up. For now the field house can only serve as their backdrop.

Some folks at New Hanover prefer tearing the building down and building a new one, but that process could take at least five years due to a required bond referendum.

The New Hanover County School Board meets tonight and may give New Hanover High School an answer. Keith Moore says time is a major concern, but the high school has a loyal and large alumni base that goes back 86 years.

He may be calling out for their support in the near future.

Story image

nhhs300.jpg

Story summary

videoThe field house for the New Hanover High School football team was deemed imminently dangerous in December of 2007, but players and coaches have continued to use it until recently.

Story summary image

nhhs150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

Is Facebook becoming inappropriate?

Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

Body

People typically get on Facebook to network with or find old friends. The one billion pieces of content shared on the site every week help keep the 250 million members hooked. But included in that content are provocative pictures, inappropriate personality quizzes, and virtual alcoholic “gifts” that even 13-year-olds can buy their friends. Some say enough is enough.

Gray Taylor deleted his Facebook account last month. ”It’s definitely kind of a waste of time, sit there and waste 30 minutes of your day, filling out a quiz about something that has no pertinence in life,” he said.

Craig Drye said he is offended by a quiz that asks, “How black are you?” He said, “I realize that I’m black through my experience and through my culture, and I don’t need to be quizzed in order to realize that.”

Drye does not like the fact that his nine year old son, who easily created an account despite the 13-year old required age limit, is exposed to offensive material. But he doesn’t blame Facebook. “The responsibility doesn’t lie with Facebook, but it lies with the parents monitoring,” he said. “I don’t really like the idea that that avenue is available to them, but it just means that we have to get on our jobs a little harder as parents and role models.”

Tricia Beatty does this by prohibiting her kids from creating a Facebook account. “You know this quiz pops up, and they go to take it, now they have information they shouldn’t have at 13. I mean, let them just be kids, run and play, go outside, that’s what I say.”

As a Facebook member, Joseph Volpi will not allow his ten year old daughter to log on until she turns 16. “It’s an adult site. People use a lot of foul language on it, and I just feel it’s inappropriate for her to be on there.”

Some of her classmates are on Facebook, but his daughter said she understands why her parents are against it. “It’s inappropriate for 16 and under, and it’s just that they use a lot of foul language, and they just put inappropriate stuff on,” she said.

Some quizzes claim they were not developed by Facebook, but they are accessible through the site. Facebook officials warn people against explicit material in the safety section of their site.

Since there is such a high volume of content to regulate, officials welcome members to “report” offensive material to them so it can be removed.

Story image

facebook300.jpg

Story summary

videoThe one billion pieces of content shared on Facebook every week help keep the 250 million members hooked. But included in that content are provocative pictures, inappropriate personality quizzes, and virtual alcoholic …

Story summary image

facebook150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

Is Hotel Indigo the right fit for convention center?

Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

Body

There is a wrinkle in the plan surrounding a hotel that will be built in conjunction with the new Wilmington Convention Center. Hotel Indigo was supposed to be Wilmington’s first boutique hotel, but the city wants to make sure they are the right fit.

The skyline of Wilmington may be home to a shiny new boutique hotel much like its sister hotels in Dallas, Chicago and Houston, but the city of Wilmington wants proof that they’re worth what they say they are.

“Put your money where your mouth is; if you tell us you’re going to do this, and you’re willing to put up that kind of money, we as city council will assume that you’ll perform, if you don’t perform than the city of Wilmington will retain a million dollars,” said Mayor Saffo.

Hotel Indigo, an umbrella of the hotel chain The Intercontinental, had until July 31st to prove they were financially capable of building and completing a hotel in conjunction with the city’s new convention center.

The city requested the hotel’s developer provide a million dollars in financial security either in the form of a bond or letter of credit.

To prove the developer has what it takes to open the hotel doors within three months of the convention center opening, the city still isn’t convinced.

“There are some planners who require that their hotel is adjacent to or beside or within walking distance of the convention center or meeting facility they’re using,” said Kim Hufham of the Wilmington Visitors Bureau.

Since the city and proposed hotel group will be working together to accommodate guests and convention goers, it makes sense to maintain a stable relationship.

In this case, the city is giving Hotel Indigo one more chance.

If this hotel group doesn’t make the cut, the city is confident another group will make a proposal.

After all, the city says the land surrounding the convention center is a hot piece of real estate.

We tried to get in touch with the developer, Steven Arp of the Wilmington River Group, but had no luck. His attorney did speak with us, but had no comment on the situation.

Story image

hotel300.jpg

Story summary

videoThere is a wrinkle in the plan surrounding a hotel that will be built in conjunction with the new Wilmington Convention Center. Hotel Indigo was supposed to be Wilmington’s first boutique hotel, but the city wants to make sure they are the right fit.

Story summary image

hotle150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina