Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for December, 2009

Study shows the number of nearsighted Americans is growing

Wednesday, December 16th, 2009

Video

Body

The findings are eye-opening. The number of nearsighted Americans has increased from 25 percent in the 1970s to 41 percent this year. No matter how you look at it, the conclusions of this new study by the National Eye Institute, simply are not good.

“When a lot of people, 40 or 50 million people, have myopia it ends up costing the U.S. about 2 – 3 billion dollars annually. It is an important problem if it is on the increase,” said Susan Vitale of the National Eye Institute.

Nearsightedness, also called myopia, is when the eyes focus incorrectly to make distant objects appear blurred.

The study did not examine the causes of the increase, but experts say the reasons could include genetics or poor outdoor lighting. They are also looking into the impact of an increase in “near work”, like reading, surfing the web or texting.

Dr. Roy Chuck, head of ophthalmology at Montefoire Hospital said, “Nearsighted work can really effect the development of young eyes. If that is exclusively the kind of work that you are doing it is equally important to be outside playing, stimulating your far vision.”

The message for parents? Turn off the TV and get your kids outside.

More research is still necessary, but this study is also shedding light on the importance of regular eye exams.

Story image

nearsighted300.jpg

Story summary

A new study shows that more people are nearsighted today than in the early seventies. It is a common problem that’s easily corrected, but one that has scientists asking why?

Story summary image

nearsighted150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

UPDATE – Child porn suspect released on bond

Wednesday, December 16th, 2009

By Veronica GonzalezVeronica.Gonzalez@StarNewsOnline.com

A 54-year-old New Hanover County man facing 10 charges of distributing child pornography said Wednesday the charges were blown out of proportion, but declined to answer questions.Paul Dudley Dallas of 430 Redwood Road went to court for his first appearance after his father, F. Paul Dallas, posted $100,000 bond.

More: continued here

School officials eye bid for Race To the Top federal education grants

Wednesday, December 16th, 2009

By Chelsea Kellner,Chelsea.Kellner@StarNewsOnline.com

Every state in the nation is jockeying for a piece of the $4.35 billion provided by the Race to the Top Fund, part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

More: continued here

Wilmington business forced to close due to recession

Wednesday, December 16th, 2009

Video

Body

The struggling economy means another local business will have to close its doors.

Dinner a Go-Go owner Mandy Caulder said she thought the worst of the recession was over, but after comparing December sales to last year, she decided she would have to close her doors.

Caulder said she could not get a loan to keep the business open and cut payroll to stay open as long as she could. Dinner a Go-Go will stay open as long as it takes Caulder to fulfill all pre-paid orders. “I care about what’s happening to my customers, and since they’ve given me money for food I could never live with myself without honoring that commitment,” she said.

Caulder said since she announced the closing, customers have called to offer any support they can.

Dinner a Go-Go will also fulfill new orders until the store closes for good.

Story image

gogo300.jpg

Story summary

The struggling economy means another local business will have to close its doors.

Dinner a Go-Go owner Mandy Caulder said she thought the worst of the recession was over, but after comparing December…

Story summary image

gogo150.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

UPDATE – Man facing child sex charges posts bond, released from jail

Wednesday, December 16th, 2009

By Veronica GonzalezVeronica.Gonzalez@StarNewsOnline.com

A 54-year-old man has been charged with 10 counts of second-degree sexual exploitation of a child for either receiving or distributing child porn.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina