Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for December, 2009

Soles won’t run in 2010

Wednesday, December 30th, 2009

Video

Body

After 41 years in the State Legislature, Sen. R.C. Soles, Jr. will not seek re-election in 2010.

The Senator announced his decision Wednesday after a year of questions and scandals. Despite the controversy, several Democratic leaders told WWAY the Senator will be missed.

Less than a year ago, Sen. Soles sounded committed to running for another term in the Senate. Since then, the longest serving legislator in North Carolina’s history has had a change of heart.

In May, Soles told us “Let’s put it this way: I’m campaigning every day. But you never know what’s around the corner. Some people think I’ve been here long enough and to some extent I probably think I have been too. At this point, yes I’m running again. But you know you always have the option of changing.”

Now, seven months later, Sen. Soles had changed his mind.

After four decades in the State Legislature, Soles is not seeking a twenty-second term. In a statement Soles said: “Quite frankly I have never given much thought to retirement; however, after careful consideration, I have decided not to seek re-election… I plan to serve out the remainder of my term with the vigor and diligence my constituents deserve.”

Despite a turmoil-filled year for Sen. Soles, Democrats say his decision not to seek re-election is a sad day for North Carolina, and Soles will be remembered for his public service that has spanned almost half a century.

“I’m sorry to see all the negative publicity that he has gotten in the last year and we are certainly going to miss his leadership,” said Pender County Democratic Chair Jimbo Robbins. “And we appreciate his leadership throughout the year and what he’s done for Pender County, for his 7th Senatorial District, and also for the state of North Carolina.”

Senate President Pro-Tem Marc Basnight shares Robbins’ sentiments, issuing this statement:

“R.C. Soles has represented in the Senate the very best of what a Senator should be. Across North Carolina, we are all fortunate for Sen. R.C. Soles’ service and are all better by it.”

Soles says he will continue to practice law in Columbus County. The Senator has practiced law for 50 years, and was recently recognized by the State Bar for his service.

Click here for the NC Senate Republican Committee’s response to Soles’ announcement.

Story image

rc300.jpg

Story summary

North Carolina’s longest-serving state legislator announced his decision after a year of questions and scandals. Despite the controversy, several Democratic leaders say the Senator will be missed.

Story summary image

rc1501.jpg

Associated poll

More: continued here

Health Notes – Brunswick schools superintendent McGee gets nod for health work

Wednesday, December 30th, 2009

BRUNSWICK COUNTY | The Brunswick County Health Department recently named Katie McGee, superintendent for the county’s school system, its Public Health Partner of the Year.Health Director Don Yousey pointed to joint projects such as Hepatitis B, seasonal flu and H1N1 vaccines to school children in Brunswick County.

More: continued here

Golf carts, sewer on special agenda at Oak Island council meeting

Wednesday, December 30th, 2009

The Oak Island Town Council will hold a special meeting at 2 p.m. Jan. 6 to discuss the golf cart traffic study currently under way and get a report on the financial status and delayed startup of the sewer system.

More: continued here

Man found with 8 baggies of marijuana after traffic stop

Wednesday, December 30th, 2009

A Wilmington man was found Tuesday with eight small bags of marijuana after he was pulled over for a traffic violation, according to a news release from Lucy Crockett with Wilmington Police Department.

More: continued here

Part of Front Street closed to cars starting Monday morning

Wednesday, December 30th, 2009

By Patrick GannonPatrick.Gannon@StarNewsOnline.com

Happy New Year downtown. The first block of North Front Street will be closed to vehicular traffic beginning at 6 a.m. Monday as work begins on the long-awaited streetscape and utility project.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina