Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for August, 2011

Gay marriage amendment discussed by NC Republicans

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Republican leaders in the North Carolina
House are gearing up for a potential vote on a proposed
constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

House Majority Leader Paul Stam and Speaker Pro Tempore Dale
Folwell scheduled a news conference Tuesday to discuss legislation
that could be voted on during a session that begins Sept. 12.

North Carolina is the only state in the Southeast that hasn’t
approved an amendment restricting marriage to one man and one

It’s already illegal for same-sex couples to marry in North
Carolina. Gay marriage opponents argue an amendment is needed to
fight off potential court challenges.

Three-fifths of the members of the House and Senate would have
to approve the question before it could go to voters next year.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More: continued here

Burlington football player dies days after big win

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011

BURLINGTON, NC (AP) — A North Carolina high school quarterback
has died just days after leading his team to victory.

Williams High School football captain Harry Cohen died Monday at
North Carolina Children’s Hospital in Chapel Hill. The cause of
death hasn’t been disclosed.

Williams coach David Green says the last time he saw Cohen on
Friday night, he was sitting on a staircase with a big grin. Cohen
led his team to a 27-17 victory over Southern Alamance High by
rushing for 240 yards and passing for more than 100 yards.

Cohen stayed on the turf for a few minutes after running for his
team’s final score, but then got up and walked off the field.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More: continued here

Fayetteville police remove Tasers for safety check

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011

FAYETTEVILLE, NC (AP) — The Fayetteville Police Department is
taking a brand of stun guns off the streets to determine whether
it’s safe to use after a man died while officers tried to subdue
him with an electric shock.

The Fayetteville Observer reported Tuesday that Police Chief
Tom Bergamine said he has no reason to believe
that the Taser used in last week’s incident malfunctioned.

All officers have been ordered to turn in their Tasers at the
department’s training facility where the weapons will be inspected
to make sure they are functioning properly. Policies on the use of
the electric weapons are also being checked.

The State Bureau of Investigation says 56-year-old Michael Evans
died last Wednesday after being stunned with a Taser during a
struggle with three Fayetteville police officers.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More: continued here

Wooster Street traffic backing up after wreck

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011

More: continued here

New Hanover County waits on FEMA to deal with debris issue

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY)– As Hurricane Irene crashed through the Cape Fear region it left plenty of debris in it’s wake.

New Hanover County Commissioners say they are waiting on FEMA to see if the government will cover the cost for debris collection.

Commissioners also said that according to an Alabama debris pickup company that they work with, it would cost $400,000-500,000 for the county to clean all of the debris.

“Since we don’t have that guarantee from FEMA the county is not comfortable with going forth and coming up with the kind of money that would have to be spent in cleanup if we have to pay for it ourselves,” New Hanover County Commissioner Ted Davis said. “Quite frankly it’s not budgeted.”

Commissioners also said that they do not expect to receive the funds from FEMA. That means that residents that do not live in the city or other incorporated areas will have to discard of the debris on their own.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina