Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for August, 2011

Frustration mounts as power outages linger

Monday, August 29th, 2011

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The lights are still out in parts of our area two days after Hurricane Irene swept past the Cape Fear coast. Those without generators are beginning to get frustrated, as temperatures and tempers continue to rise.

“Because it is summer time in the South,” Matthew Jewell said. “It’s hot, man. We are all pretty ready, just like everybody else, ready to get their power turned back on.”

People, like Jewell, who live off North 21st Street near Princess Place Drive in Wilmington are no strangers to power outages. Residents say lights flicker after many storms, but to be without power for more than 60 hours is uncommon.

Folks without power are starting to worry about their pets and young children in this heat.

“We have a young baby. She’s 9 months old, and so we’re trying to make sure she’s OK,” Ryan McDonnell said. “Being in this heat all day long is rough on her.”

No power also means no refrigerator, which means tainted food.

“I have all ideas that everything is spoiled in the refrigerator and freezer,” Jewell said. “We really haven’t looked at that yet, but we’ll deal with that when the time comes.”

McDonnell said, “We’ve got baby food in the freezer. Baby food is melting. Trying to keep her milk cold when my wife is at work has been tough.”

Progress Energy was working on getting the power fixed in that area this afternoon, and officials from the power company say that there are still 1,500 customers without power in New Hanover County. That number is dwindling since Saturday, when nearly 50,000 in the county were without power.

Even though that is an improvement, folks on North 21st Street just want life to go back to normal.

“I’m just looking for a good, solid night sleep,” McDonnell said. “That would solve everything for me right now. One cold night. That would fix it.”

Progress Energy says Pender County has almost 1,100 customers without power. Brunswick County is down to about 200 in the dark.

More: continued here

FIRST ON 3: New Hanover Co. catching grief for not cleaning up debris; May change mind

Monday, August 29th, 2011

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County is getting an earful from residents upset that it won’t be picking up storm debris after Hurricane Irene came through this weekend.

At first, it said residents would be on their own since the county doesn’t have a contract with any one hauler.

But now, we’re hearing the county may be reassessing.

Reports are the county is hoping that President Obama declares us to be in a “state of disaster” so the county will not have to pay for the clean-up.

We’ll keep you posted on any new developments.

More: continued here

FIRST ON 3: ‘Frog’ still on the lam

Monday, August 29th, 2011

TABOR CITY, NC (WWAY) — A teen with ties to former state Sen. R.C. Soles is still on the run tonight.

Tabor City Police say Allen “Frog” Strickland called Chief Donald Dowless Saturday and said he would turn himself in this morning. At last check, the teen has not shown up.

According to investigators Strickland showed up at the home of Soles last week. The teen allegedly threw a bottle at Soles’s car, but police say the vehicle was not damaged.

Forty-five minutes later Frog showed up at a nearby gas station and cut off his GPS monitor. He has been considered a fugitive since.

More: continued here

Company seeks to drill under river for power line

Monday, August 29th, 2011

Progress Energy has applied for a permit to drill its first main power line under the Cape Fear River. Currently, the company has two transmission lines that cross above the water. The $25 million project is a response to a federal mandate meant to prevent multiple lines from being knocked out at once.

More: continued here

New Hanover reconsiders debris pickup decision

Monday, August 29th, 2011

It is unlikely New Hanover County will contract for pickup of Hurricane Irene debris unless FEMA foots the bill, county officials said Monday.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina