Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for September, 2011

New Hanover Commissioners ask for Berger’s resignation

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioners have asked for county commissioner Brian Berger to resign.

Speaking on behalf of his fellow commissioners who stood by him at a news conference, Commission Chair Jonathan Barfield said he asked Berger Monday night to resign because his many issues have become a distraction.

Barfield said people around the state have asked him what the recall procedure is for New Hanover County, but the county does not have a process under law.

“I just want him to get well,” Barfield said.

Berger told WWAY Monday evening he was considering resigning after two more incidents last week in which police were called to his house for an attempted suicide and four nights later to his ex-girlfriend’s home after the couple met to work out their differences.

Berger also said he may discuss his situation at Tuesday’s commission meeting. However, Berger was quiet for much of the evening. At the end of the meeting during a period for commissioner’s comments, Berger reminded everyone to take time to remember the people who lost their lives on September 11, 2001, as the country gets ready to mark the tenth anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

More: continued here

New Hanover commissioners to discuss Brian Berger at news conference today

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011

Four commissioners and County Manager Bruce Shell are expected to attend. It is unclear if Berger will be present. He did not return calls seeking comment.

More: continued here

Lee departs after spawning a tornado in Robeson County, Katia on the move

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY)- A storm system consisting of a cold front and the remnant low of former Tropical Storm Lee spawned a tornado in Robeson County Tuesday evening. Early this morning, NWS assessment teams confirmed EF0 (85 mph winds) tornado damage near Rennert. Several mobile homes were damaged, and a barn was destroyed. No major injuries were reported.

The storm system is slowly pulling away from North Carolina. Coverage of thunderstorms will be decreasing, but a slight chance of isolated severe weather will exist through tonight. On a positive note, this storm system has kept us protected from Hurricane Katia. The hurricane is expected to stay far offshore, but rip currents and heavy surf will still be felt along the coast.

Tropical system Maria has also formed, but the storm is nearly 3000 miles away from the East Coast. It is much too early to determine where the storm will ultimately travel.

You can always see the latest tropical updates at Hurricanes 101.

Chief Meteorologist Jerry Jackson

More: continued here

Conservative group lunches on politics

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Nothing like a little politics over lunch.

The conservative Civitas Institute came to Wilmington today to talk about its Partisan Index, Action Conservative Rankings, redistricting and a 2011 legislative session recap.

The group also explained how to keep up to date about what is going on in north carolina using tools developed to keep the government accountable and the people well-informed.

“This redistricting, probably in all likelihood the Republicans will maintain a majority,” Civitas Institute President Francis DeLuca said. “Good years they may have a veto-proof majority in both houses, and our analysis is a good guide for how the districts are likely to vote. It’s not a predictor. It’s just likely to vote.”

The mission of the Civitas Institute is to facilitate the implementation of conservative policy solutions to improve the lives of all North Carolinians.

More: continued here

Governor announces plan to speed up urban loop projects, including Wilmington

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — It looks like work on the Wilmington Bypass will move ahead more quickly than expected under a new plan Gov. Bev Perdue unveiled today.

Using Grant Anticipation Revenue Vehicle, or GARVEE bonds, the plan significantly advances the purchase of right of way or the start of construction on urban loop projects in Asheville, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Greenville, Wilmington and Winston-Salem. GARVEE bonds allow the NC Department of Transportation to borrow against future federal funding.

The plan would speed up the completion for the I-140/US 17 Wilmington Bypass. It will allow the section from US 421 in New Hanover County west to US 74/76 in Brunswick County to open for traffic in 2016. Under the original plan, only the grading and structure would have been done by then.

“Investing in our state‚Äôs infrastructure is about jobs,” Gov. Perdue said. “Not only will it create jobs, but it also will build an efficient transportation network that will attract new businesses and bring more jobs to our state in the future.”

According to the Federal Highway Administration, every $1 million spent on transportation creates 30 jobs, and according to the construction industry, every dollar invested in transportation generates $6 in economic impact.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina