Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for October, 2011

ONLY ON 3: Man who says Soles molested him wants to make formal complaint

Monday, October 10th, 2011

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A man who says former state Sen. R.C. Soles molested him three decades ago is trying to tell his story, but he says law enforcement turned him away.

Toby Faircloth has told his story to WWAY before, but now he wants to file a formal complaint.

Faircloth says he tried to file a formal complaint with the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office Friday, but was denied the opportunity and was given the run around.

Back in 2009 Faircloth, his face hidden from the camera afraid of the consequences, shared his story with WWAY. He says about 30 years ago when he was growing up in Tabor City, R.C. Soles molested him on more than one occasion when he was 13.

“Socially embarrassed and psychologically scarred,” Faircloth told us in 2009 about what happened to him years earlier. “Coming from an area like Tabor City, well that’s not exactly the kind of thing that you would talk about.”

But now the 49-year-old is not afraid to identify himself and tell his story in the form of a formal complaint. Friday though, Faircloth says he was denied that opportunity from the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office.

“They tried to palm it off on the Tabor City Police Department,” he said. “Tabor City Police tried to palm it off to the sheriff’s department. They turned around and try to turn it to the district attorney. Really left us frustrated. Told me to go the SBI or Attorney General.”

Faircloth says he has shared his claims before, but had never done it in writing. He thinks a formal complaint would not only give him some sort of documentation, but could also get the SBI’s investigation on Soles moving.

“Maybe even break it loose from what appears to be a stalemate,” Faircloth said.

The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office says it would have taken down Faircloth’s complaint if he had originally told the office about his claims. Faircloth admits he did first talk to the SBI about Soles in 2009, but he never filed a written complaint.

He feels his recent bump in the road is disheartening. Faircloth says it would mean the world to him if the Soles saga wrapped up soon ending with a prosecution and an admission of guilt.

“The admission itself… that would be worth so much to me,” Faircloth said. “It would take years of torture, thinking about it knowing about… just to hear him or somebody finally say yes he did it. Even if he doesn’t go to jail just the simple fact of hearing it itself would be so much of a personal relief to me.”

Soles and his attorneys have long maintained the former senator’s innocence.

Many of the alleged victims of Soles have been discredited because they have taken money from Soles. Faircloth says his willingness to talk about his encounters with Soles has nothing to due with money, but with what’s right.

More: continued here

Chadbourn man charged with stabbing dad, stealing mom’s car

Monday, October 10th, 2011

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A family feud landed a Chadbourn man behind bars after he reportedly stabbed his father and drove off with his mother’s car.

The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office says deputies arrested Jeremy Devon Ward after they chased him on foot after he abandoning his mother’s car.

Investigators say the 29-year-old Ward stabbed his father at his home in Chadbourn. Today a torn and bloody shirt was still right outside of the Wards’ front door.

When officers arrived at the home last night, ward had already left. Deputies were told Ward had driven off to the southern end of Columbus County.

“The officers proceeded to that area, ran across the vehicle that fit the description, tried to stop it, the vehicle failed to stop” Maj. Lewis Hatcher of the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office said. “They ended up in a pursuit, and at some point the young man jumped out of the vehicle and ran and the officers were able to catch him.”

Ward is charged with felony flee and allude arrest, common law robbery and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to inflict serious injury. He is in the Columbus County Jail under $95,000 bond.

Investigators say the injuries Ward’s father suffered were not life-threatening

More: continued here

Police ask for help identifying Spider-Man Bandit

Monday, October 10th, 2011

He is supposed to be your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. But this masked ruffian is anything but a superhero.

More: continued here

Man wanted for assaulting Topsail Beach officer after break-in

Monday, October 10th, 2011

TOPSAIL BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Topsail Beach Police are looking for help finding a man they say broke into a home and assaulted an officer.

Police say the victim of the break-in has a security system with video surveillance, so they were able to get a pretty clear shot of the man who broke into the home Friday morning. The problem is, police are having a hard time identifying him.

Investigators say the man broke into a home on Trout Ave. When an officer responded to the robbery, the man ran from the house and then got into a physical altercation with the officer.

Police have pending warrants for this man for breaking and entering, larceny and assault on an officer.

If you have any idea who this man is or where he is, please contact the topsail beach police at (910) 443-072

More: continued here

Bar owner taking downtown nightlife issues into his own hands

Monday, October 10th, 2011

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Downtown Wilmington’s nightlife has been a big topic of debate the last few years. From bars trying to keep out members of the military to fights and even murders at and around clubs, the downtown scene has developed a reputation for violence after about 2 a.m. That’s caused one downtown business owner to take things into his own hands.

“In an ideal world we would have 20 officers down here every Friday and Saturday night late at night, but this is not an ideal world in terms of budgets, so they only have 10 officers,” Front Street Brewery owner Tom Harris said.

Back in May Harris hired the NOTTT Foundation to help with late night security downtown. With the city putting an end to the Nightlife Task Force a few years ago and continued violence, like a murder outside the Rhino Club in January, some members of the community are worried for their safety after the bars let out.

“(There’s) nowhere near enough police,” NOTTT Foundation Director Raymond Bates said. “I know we are short-handed a lot, and that’s the reason our company was hired to come out and assist them. Any given night we’re definitely out numbered out here.”

Despite the help of the NOTTT Foundation, which stands for Nothing Other Than The Truth, on this particular night there were a handful of fights and arrests. The continuing public safety issue has led Harris not only to hire the extra security, but to start airing a string of political ad about the problem.

“The city is not doing everything it can with regards to embracing free, no cost, common sense things to proactively try to help with the random sporadic late night violence that occurs downtown especially after 2 a.m.,” Harris said.

Harris hopes by forcing city leaders to face the issue something will finally change.

He says there were more police officers on the streets this weekend than usual. That’s because it was Riverfest weekend, which brings even more people to downtown.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina