Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for December, 2011

Winning lottery tickets sold recently

Friday, December 9th, 2011

More: continued here

Bladen Co. man gets life in prison for 2009 murder

Friday, December 9th, 2011

ELIZABETHTOWN, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — Yesterday a Bladen County Jury
returned a verdict of guilty to charges of
First Degree Murder, Robbery with a Dangerous Weapon, First Degree
Burglary and Conspiracy to Commit Robbery with a Dangerous Weapon on
the Defendant Kevin Christopher Rogers.

The Honorable Claire V. Hill presided over the trial that
began on November 28, 2011 and included
testimony from the Co Defendant Laterra Shovonda Ross concerning the
Murder and Robbery of the victim Sean Maurice Lesane at his home at 89
Mary C Drive on August 22, 2009. Mr. Rogers was sentenced to Life
without the possibility of parole for the charge of murder as well as 61 to 83
months for the Burglary and Armed Robbery and an additional 29 to 44
months for the Conspiracy to Commit Robbery with a Dangerous Weapon.
Mr. Rogers Co Defendant avoided trial by entering a plea to Robbery with a
Dangerous Weapon and Aiding and Abetting First Degree Burglary.

Ms. Ross was given consideration for her testimony and was sentenced by the
court to a minimum of 134 months and a maximum of 180 months for her
involvement in the crime.

The State was represented by Senior Assistant
District Attorney Lee Bollinger and Assistant District Attorney Tripp
Watson. Mr. Rogers was represented by Attorney William Johnson and Ms.
Ross was represented by Attorney Goldston Womble each are members of
the Bladen County Bar. The lead detectives from the Bladen County Sheriffs
Department were Steve Lesane and Jeff Singletary who obtained limited
assistance from Special Agent Chad Royal of the North Carolina State
Bureau of Investigation.

Investigator Scott Pait of the Bladen County District Attorneys office
was heavily involved in the immediate pre trial
phase of the investigation as well. The Prosecutors in this case would like to
thank everyone who assisted in bringing this case to trial.

More: continued here

ONLY ON 3: Despite state ban, Pender Co. to consider zoning for sweepstakes parlors

Friday, December 9th, 2011

PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Pender County commissioners may roll the dice on a gray area at their meeting Monday night. A business is trying to get approval to open a sweepstakes parlor, even though the state banned the video games last year.

On the agenda is a public hearing to approve two special use permits to open two sweepstakes parlors in the county – one in Hampstead and another in Rocky Point. So we wanted to know how this could even be considered on the agenda.

We reached out to Pender County Commissioners. After only hearing back from two, it seems even the people in power are in the dark about the hearing and the laws surrounding video gaming in North Carolina. Commissioner Chester Ward admitted he did not know they were illegal in the state, even though the law went into effect last year.

So we decided then to talk to Rep. Carolyn Justice. She said sweepstakes were absolutely illegal, but there were some loopholes. She directed us to the General Assembly’s Research Office. The staff there explained that the state does have a law banning sweepstakes, but there is still some controversy surrounding the issue.

A research analyst said a part of the law is going to the court of appeals because of a lawsuit in Guilford County. The suit says part of the law is vague and unconstitutional, allowing the sweepstakes to remain in business. He says right now, many law enforcement agencies are waiting for the Court of Appeals to decide the case.

The Pender County Planning Board says the business is seeking land use approval at Monday night’s meeting. County planners are under the understanding that the business will only operate using legal games.

More: continued here

Second fish story for Ocean Isle family

Friday, December 9th, 2011

SKA national title returns to McMullans

More: continued here

Brunswick Co. teacher moves on in Teacher of the Year contest

Friday, December 9th, 2011

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Brunswick County teacher is moving on in the state’s Teacher of the Year contest.

Melissa Warren teaches English at South Brunswick High School. She found out today she’s been selected North Carolina Southeast Region Teacher of the Year. She was named Brunswick County Teacher of the Year in April.

Warren will compete with eight other finalists for the title of North Carolina Teacher of the Year in the spring.

She is the first teacher in Brunswick County to receive this honor in eight years.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina