Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for January, 2012

Venue change denied in bike riders’ deaths

Monday, January 23rd, 2012

A venue change was denied for a man charged in the deaths of a father and son.

More: continued here

NC gay marriage ban supporters launch effort

Monday, January 23rd, 2012

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Supporters of a constitutional question on May’s ballot in North Carolina say the amendment is needed to protect traditional marriage from those who want to expand what is legal in the state.

The group “Vote FOR Marriage NC” kicked off its campaign Monday. They want voters to approve a constitutional amendment to make clear marriage is only between a man and a woman.

State law already makes that distinction, but coalition chairwoman Tami Fitzgerald says an amendment would protect marriage from activist judges and lawmakers who want to allow gay marriage.

The amendment also would prevent the state from sanctioning civil unions or domestic partnerships.

Vote FOR Marriage NC said it would work on support in churches.

Amendment opponents kicked off their campaign last week.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More: continued here

VOTE 2012: McIntyre Campaign has more than $1 million heading into primary

Monday, January 23rd, 2012

Lumberton, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — The Mike McIntyre For Congress Campaign Committee announced today that the campaign raised $852,000 in 2011 and begins the 2012 election year with $687,000 cash on hand.

Congressman McIntyre stated, “I am honored to have so many citizens committing to us financially and politically. Folks all across Southeastern North Carolina are showing their support for our message of putting the people of our area first, working in a bi-partisan manner, honoring the commitments to our senior citizens, veterans, military, farmers, rural and coastal communities, and protecting our great nation! Now more than ever, we need a strong voice in Congress who can reach across the aisle, build consensus, and get things done. That’s what I have always done, and that’s what we will keep doing each and every day to make Southeastern North Carolina the best place to live and work!”

In addition to the large amount of cash on hand, the campaign released the following key numbers that show a groundswell of support and momentum for the Congressman’s re-election:

* The campaign raised $852,000 in 2011 — the most ever raised by the campaign in the off year of an election.
* The campaign raised $194,000 in the 4th quarter of 2011.
* 92% of the campaign’s individual donors in the 4th quarter come from North Carolina.
* 94% of the campaign’s individual donors in this election cycle come from North Carolina.

More: continued here

New Hanover Co. Commission votes to help waterless residents

Monday, January 23rd, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The New Hanover County Commission voted 4-1 this morning to help people in the community without water.

Commissioner Rick Catlin explained that the county has already raised $10,000 privately toward the more than $150,000 needed to help waterless residents. Catlin says the county should continue to utilize all the resources it has to promote more contributions from private donors.

“It’s a public health concern,” Catlin said. “Not having water, you can’t wash your hands. We have flu season coming up. You got kids going to school dirty. Those are just basic public health needs. We’re the United States of America; we’re not Haiti. You look at what happened after the Haiti earthquake or after Katrina. What’s the first thing we do? We bring people water, because we recognize that that’s a basic human need.”

Brian Berger was the only commissioner who voted against the program. He says the rates should be adjusted rather than the bills paid by donations.

Catlin says he does not understand why anyone would oppose donating to a good cause.

More: continued here

County adopts plan to replenish Carolina Beach sand

Monday, January 23rd, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioners put a new plan into place to make sure the sand on Carolina Beach will be replenished in 2013.

In the next year, the federal plan to renourish Carolina Beach will expire after 50 years. It is the first in the country to expire, so the county wanted to make sure a plan is in place to continue the nourishment even if the federal or state government could not supplement the funding.

Coastal Planning and Engineering will get the private contract for more than $330,000 needed to keep the beach replenished.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina