Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for February, 2012

NC high court to hear case of school bra search

Saturday, February 11th, 2012

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — The case of a teenager who had to untuck her shirt and pull out her bra with her thumb as part of a search for pills at an alternative school in North Carolina is headed to the state Supreme Court.

The court’s decision could determine how constitutional provisions against unreasonable search and seizure apply to all public school students. Justices will hear the case Monday. The case comes from the state Court of Appeals, which ruled 2-1 last year that the search at Brunswick County Academy in November 2008 was “demeaning and highly intrusive.”

Attorney Geeta Kapur represents the student, who was 15 at the time. She believes the court’s ruling will apply to all public school students, about 1.5 million of them, and not just those in alternative schools.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More: continued here

Questions arise over convention center booking policy

Saturday, February 11th, 2012

Some nonprofits and one Wilmington council member fear changes to the center’s booking policy will hurt local organizations and drive down business.

More: continued here

Lung cancer survivor still battling disease’s stigma

Saturday, February 11th, 2012

Taylor Bell had a cancerous mass removed at Duke University Medical Center and she’s been cancer-free for more than four years.

More: continued here

Tables turn for Barfield after McIntyre’s announcement

Saturday, February 11th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Filing to run for office in the state starts Monday, a beginning to what should be a very interesting election season.

Governor Bev Perdue’s announcement last month was a shock to many, sparking an entirely new political ball game in North Carolina. Now that Congressman Mike McIntyre has decided not to run for the governor’s office, his seat is no longer up for grabs, which leaves New Hanover County Commissioner Jonathan Barfield to change his plans.

“It leaves me staying with the board of County Commissioners,” Barfield said.

Less than a month ago, Barfield was in a different state of mind. He said that if McIntyre did run for governor, he would run for McIntyre’s seat. Barfield says he is not ruling out eventually running for Congress.

“It’s definitely on my radar screen,” Barfield said. “It’s something that I am striving to get to. Just right now, the timing definitely would not be right with him continuing to go ahead and run for re-election and with the dynamics in county government, it’s just time to stay put for a while.”

New Hanover County Commissioner Rick Catlin has also announced he will be running for a seat in the state House of Representatives.

More: continued here

Baseball playing with local emotions

Saturday, February 11th, 2012

Sharks co-owner ‘disappointed’ by effect potential minor league team will have on Sharks.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina