Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for February, 2012

McComas not running again, no candidates so far for 19th District seat

Tuesday, February 28th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — With a day left before the filing deadline, no one has filed to run for the 19th District state House seat representing New Hanover County, and the incumbent say he will not file.

Rep. Danny McComas, who has served in the General Assembly since 1995, says he will not seek re-election.

“Over the last 18 years, it has been my honor to serve the people of New Hanover County in the North Carolina House,” McComas said in a statement. “I have always strived to put service to my constituents first while focusing on public policy to strengthen our economy while protecting our coastal communities.

“After many sleepless nights in prayer, thought and deliberation, I have concluded that the time has come for me not to file for re-election. This has not been an easy decision. I have enjoyed working for the people of New Hanover County and I am proud of what our leadership team accomplished this past year in restoring sound fiscal management to our state’s budgetary process. However, as the year has progressed, it has become more obvious that the pressure of public service coupled with the demands of a challenging economy has placed an undue burden on my family, my business and I.”

Filing for political offices in North Carolina ends at noon tomorrow.

More: continued here

FIRST ON 3: McComas not running again, Davis files for seat

Tuesday, February 28th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — State Rep. Danny McComas will not run for another term in the North Carolina House. New Hanover County Commission Chair Ted Davis, though, will. Davis filed for the 19th District seat this morning.

Davis has not yet returned a call for comment.

McComas told WWAY he had talked to Davis over the weekend about the House race. McComas said Davis knew he was seriously considering not running.

“There just comes a time,” McComas told WWAY about his decision not to run.

Earlier in the day McComas sent out a news release saying it has been an honor to serve.ties.

“After many sleepless nights in prayer, thought and deliberation, I have concluded that the time has come for me not to file for re-election. This has not been an easy decision,” McComas said. “I have enjoyed working for the people of New Hanover County and I am proud of what our leadership team accomplished this past year in restoring sound fiscal management to our state’s budgetary process. However, as the year has progressed, it has become more obvious that the pressure of public service coupled with the demands of a challenging economy has placed an undue burden on my family, my business and I.”

Filing for political offices in North Carolina ends at noon tomorrow.

More: continued here

‘Dancing with the Stars’ season 14 cast revealed

Tuesday, February 28th, 2012

By Lauren Sher
ABC News

LOS ANGELES (ABC) — A whole new celebrity cast is putting on their dancing shoes and preparing to take the ballroom by storm on Season 14 of ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars.”

Actor Jack Wagner of “Melrose Place” fame, TV star Melissa Gilbert, who became a household name as Laura Ingalls on “Little House on the Prairie,””The View” co-host Sherri Shepherd, and Jaleel White, best known as Steve Urkel from “Family Matters,” are among this season’s headliners.

Tennis legend Martina Navratilova, TV host Maria Menounos, Motown great Gladys Knight, opera singer Katherine Jenkins, Disney star Roshon Fegan, NFL champ Donald Driver, singer Gavin DeGraw and Telenovela actor William Levy round out the celebrity line-up.

Click here to read more about the stars.

The new season of “Dancing With the Stars” premieres in a live two-hour event on Monday, March 19 at 8/7c on ABC and WWAY NewsChannel 3.

More: continued here

More ‘booms’ reported this morning

Tuesday, February 28th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Phone calls and e-mails have poured in from across the Cape Fear reporting a loud boom strong enough to shake homes and scare pets. We’ve gotten reports from Burgaw to Caswell Beach.

The US Geological Survey isn’t reporting any earthquakes in the area.

One explanation is always the legend of the “Seneca Guns.” Some believe the ghosts of the Seneca Indians are getting revenge by using the guns that Europeans used on them so many years ago.

More: continued here

Repairs continue at nuclear plant

Tuesday, February 28th, 2012

Progress Energy is continuing repair work at the Brunswick Nuclear Plant

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina