Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for May, 2012

CFPUA looks at possible pay raises

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012

A proposed budget includes more than $757,000 in salary raises for 285 employees.

More: continued here

UNC former president in critical condition

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — University of North Carolina President Emeritus William Friday remains in critical condition at UNC Hospitals.

Hospital spokeswoman Stephanie Mahin said the condition of the 91-year-old Friday was unchanged Wednesday evening. She didn’t release any other details.

Friday was president of UNC for 30 years, leading the school through integration, the sponsorship of the state education network and its growth into a 16-campus university system. He also helped with the formation of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Since retiring as president in 1986, Friday has continued to push to keep college affordable and supported programs to reduce poverty and illiteracy. He also has his own show on UNC-TV called “North Carolina People” that he last taped earlier this month.

Friday had open heart surgery in 2009.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

GOP lawmakers float 2 measures to restrict annexation

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012

Two separate annexation bills were approved by two state Senate committees on Wednesday.

More: continued here

Book reveals unsung hero’s story on the Battleship NC

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — War stories are often traded on the decks of the USS North Carolina, but this tale is somewhat different than the rest. From passing gunpowder to saving the ship, an uncommon hero refused to give in to racial stereotypes and fought for our freedom while battling for eqaulity in World War II.

“When he came to the 2009 reunion he was asked to tell his story because he was in this picture,” explained David Seagraves, as he spoke about his father. “They’ve had this picture and they didn’t have a date for it they just had this photo and they encouraged him to tell his story.”

John Seagraves’ story is that of a hero. He shot down a Japanese kamikaze that was headed straight for the USS North Carolina.

“At the time, I was in the saddle for the 20 mm and I started firing along with the other four 20 mm and the 40 mm,” recalled John Seagraves. “My feelings at the time were we were firing and I could see the two Japanese pilots in the plane. Finally shot the plane down and the plane landed maybe 40 yards from the ship.”

Seagraves says he didn’t initially share the story with his son because he didn’t have fond memories of his time on board.

“The North Carolina was a ship to me, that a part of my life for many years I just resented coming back here for the reunion because of the segregation of most of the sailors on here,” said Seagraves.

Regardless of the segregation, David Seagraves says his dad ended up on top which is why he thinks his story is worth telling the world.

“He never took no for an answer. He never quit. He just never accepted the status quo. Accepted what society wanted him to be or wanted him to do,” David said.

Seagraves says he thinks it’s important to remember the sacrifices of those who came before us.
That’s why he wrote the book about his father and why he thinks it’s important for everyone to read.

“The great depression lead to the greatest generation. They did a lot of things. They suffered through a lot of things. We have it easy as a result of them. So if we took a little bit of time to look at it, we’d see how far we’ve come,” said David.

You can pick up a copy of the book, “Uncommon Hero: The John Seagraves Story” in the Battleship’s store or online.

The Seagraves are also in talks to turn the book into a movie, which they would like to film right here in Wilmington.

More: continued here

City council members question Mandalay Baseball’s proposal

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Members of Wilmington City Council have unanswered questions after Mandalay Baseball’s proposal last night. Some want more private dollars involved. Even so, they believe a ballpark would be a big boost to Wilmington’s economy.

“It’s not about a bunch of guys dressing up and playing a game on a field, this is about economic development,” said Wilmington City Councilwoman, Margaret Haynes.

That’s why city council says it is doing its due diligence when it comes to building a ballpark. Tuesday night, Mandalay Baseball said the expected cost for a stadium is $33 to $36 million. Flywheel-Trask, the private investors, will contribute $10.5 million toward that cost. Some council members hope that number goes up.

“This has to be done in a very responsible, orderly fashion and that’s why we have National Sports to meet our fiduciary responsibility to the citizens,” Haynes said.

Council members still have many questions when it comes to Mandalay’s proposal, including where’s the ballpark going to go? Mayor Pro-tem Earl Sheridan says he would still like to see it in the proposed site downtown.

“Of course I’m willing to look at other things but I’m hopeful that some sort of site that’s in the downtown area will be one that is chosen and can work for this thing,” Sheridan said.

City council members say they did not ask questions following the presentation because they are going to wait for its consultant, NSS, to analyze it first.

They say this is just the beginning of a process they hope will bring minor league baseball to the Port City.

“Theres been a lot of excitement since we’ve been talking about this thing so yeah, I do see it building,” said Sheridan. “I’m just hoping that we can get some more specifics.”

City council members say no final decision has been made on funding.
the city manager and project manager will review the preliminary proposal before they further discuss deal terms.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina