Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for June, 2012

Police ask for assistance in finding murder suspect

Thursday, June 21st, 2012

Terrell Artez Robinson, 20, has evaded arrest since Wilmington police detectives charged him in a killing.

More: continued here

Forest Service probe planned of Croatan fire

Thursday, June 21st, 2012

NEW BERN, NC (AP) — The US Forest Service says it will investigate why a controlled burn got out of control and scorched 21,000 acres of the Croatan National Forest in eastern North Carolina.

The review will include checking the burn plan, weather conditions and any aspects that allowed the fire to get out of control. The original plan was for a controlled burn of 1,500 acres.

Authorities say the fire which was started last week got out of control and spread last weekend. It continues to burn but there is a containment line around it.

The Forest Service says it has cost about $300,000 so far to fight the blaze.

No injuries have been reported.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

Cumberland schools add ban on bullying

Thursday, June 21st, 2012

FAYETTEVILLE, NC (AP) — The Cumberland County school board has approved a ban on bullying as part of the student code of conduct.

The Fayetteville Observer reported the addition encourages parents and students to report bullying incidents.

Sarah Williams says she’s glad to see the addition. She says her daughter was and nothing was done until the girl was beaten by three other girls. She says she is pressing charges against the girls.

Superintendent Frank Till Jr. says he can’t talk about that case but hopes the addition to the policy will reduce bullying.

Students who bully can be suspended on first offense. The second offense can lead to a longer suspension for elementary students and reassignment to an alternative school for middle and high school students.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

Downtown staple Caffe Phoenix closing doors July 31

Thursday, June 21st, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A staple of downtown Wilmington is closing its doors. After more than two decades, Caffe Phoenix will serve its last meal July 31.

Opened in 1989, “Phoenix,” as it affectionately became known, was one of the first fine dining restaurants in downtown Wilmington. Employees say its closing means the end of an era.

“It’s such a staple to downtown Wilmington,” employee Nichole Mize said. “Everybody comes from out of town. They’ll come back once a year to vacation.”

“We still get notes about people who met their significant other here,” manager Andrew Sutton said.

When owner Roy Clifton died after a battle with lung cancer, employees say his wife decided it was time to close a little earlier than expected.

“They ran a restaurant for almost 25 years,” Sutton said. “They opened the river boat in, I think, 1984, and then they bought this place a while back.”

In 2010, the Cliftons moved the restaurant from its original 9 S. Front Street location to where it is today a couple blocks north.

“There’s not anything like it downtown, and there probably never will be,” Mize said.

Though its doors will be closed soon, Caffe Phoenix is still running full speed ahead.

“We’re doing the same thing. We just got a new menu,” Sutton said. “We’re not slowing down any. We’re just going to keep going until the end.”

A special dinner is in the works for the restaurant’s final day with drink specials and interesting entrees.

Another downtown restaurant, Marrakesh, has suddenly closed its doors. The Turkish/Moroccan eatery on Front Street that only opened six weeks ago has shut down. Workers have recently been seen outside picketing the restaurant, claiming they were owed money from the owner.

More: continued here

UPDATE: Charges filed in crashing involving SUV and semi-truck

Thursday, June 21st, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Dispatch says they were notified of an accident
involving an SUV and semi-truck by an employee at the State Port, who saw it
on a surveillance camera. It happened around 2:30 p.m.

Wilmington Police say the Ford Explorer was traveling
on Shipyard Boulevard towards the State Port when it crashed into a
semi-truck, that was turning left from Burnett Boulevard onto Shipyard.

The SUV slid underneath the center part of the semi. The 18-wheeler
was transporting a concrete bridge railing with an NC Department
of Transportation sign on it.

Wilmington Traffic Police Officer Mark Anderson says the driver of the
Explorer, Jonathan Chase Hodges, 25, walked away from the scene
with only a few scratches. The driver of the semi was not injured.

Anderson says Hodges claims he had briefly looked down right before the
crash and did not have time to stop. Police charged Hodges with possession
of drug paraphernalia and careless and reckless driving.

According to video obtained by the Port of Wilmington, the driver of the
semi had fully stopped before turning left into the intersection.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina