Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for July, 2012

Unemployment up in Wilmington area for June

Friday, July 27th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Unemployment rates rose in 84 of North Carolina’s 100 counties in June, including all five in our area.

Overall the Wilmington Metropolitan area saw unemployment climb from 9.7 percent in May to 10.0 percent in June. A year earlier the unemployment rate for the area was 10.8 percent.

"Over-the-year numbers are showing a positive trend compared to the June numbers," NC Department of
Commerce Deputy Secretary Dale Carroll said in a news release. "Since June of last year, rates are down in nearly all of North Carolina’s 100 counties."

North Carolina had 39 counties that were at or below the state’s not seasonally adjusted unemployment rate of 9.9 percent. Only one of those was in our area: New Hanover County at 9.3 percent.

  June ’12 May ’12 OTM Change June ’11 OTY Change
Bladen 12.5% 11.6% +0.9 13.5% -1.0
Brunswick 10.9% 10.3% +0.6 10.9% No change
Columbus 13.3% 12.3% +1.0 14.3% -1.0
New Hanover 9.3% 9.1% +0.2 10.4% -1.1
Pender 11.2 11.1% +0.1 12.5% -1.3
Wilmington Metro 10.0% 9.7% +0.3 10.8% -0.8


More: continued here

NC reviews ‘Extreme Makeover’ home in Fayetteville

Friday, July 27th, 2012

FAYETTEVILLE, NC (AP) — The Secretary of State’s Office in North Carolina is reviewing operations of an organization that serves homeless female veterans in Fayetteville in a facility that was constructed by the television show “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” last year.

The Fayetteville Observer reported state investigators are interviewing former residents of Jubilee House and others as part of a review to determine if the Jubilee House is fulfilling its charitable mission.

The home is operated by Steps & Stages Disabled Veterans Resource Agency.

Liz Proctor with the Secretary of State’s Office says the investigation is in the early stages.

Barbara Mitchell with the agency has denied allegations that women and children have been kicked out of the home unnecessarily.

The agency earlier resolved issues about a license to solicit charitable donations.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

NRC warns of problems at Catawba Nuclear Station

Friday, July 27th, 2012

CHARLOTTE, NC (AP) — Federal inspectors have told Charlotte-based Duke Energy they’ve found safety problems at the Catawba Nuclear Station in York County, SC.

The Charlotte Observer reported the problems could lead to more inspections of the plant on Lake Wylie on the South Carolina-North Carolina state line.

The plant lost power to the plant April 4. Backup generators kicked in and the one operating reactor shut down safely. The other reactor already was shut down for refueling.

Duke spokeswoman Mary Kathryn Green says the utility is reviewing the report.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission investigation traced the problem to a programming error when electrical changes were made to the plant’s two reactors. Unit 2 in February.

Green says the problem has been corrected. Both reactors are now at full power.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

Southport-Fort Fisher Ferry scheduled tweaked for ‘Safe Haven’ shoot

Friday, July 27th, 2012

SOUTHPORT, NC (WWAY) — The NC Department of Transportation’s Ferry Division will cancel two departures for the Southport-Fort Fisher Ferry August 7 for a movie shoot.

The cast and crew of the Nicholas Sparks book turned movie “Safe Haven” will use the Motor Vessel Southport and its crew for a shoot that evening.

The 6:15 p.m. departure from Southport and the 7 p.m. departure from Fort Fisher will not take place August 7. Commuters are asked to make alternate arrangements on that day, and visitors are asked to plan ahead and be aware that the schedule will be amended.

“Safe Haven” has been shooting in Southport and Wilmington all summer.

The NCDOT says negotiations have been underway for more than a month to finalize a contract between NCDOT and the production company for use of the ferry. While filming is expected to affect just that one day’s route schedule, if further filming is needed, the NCDOT Ferry Division will Tweet the information @NCDOT_Twitter.

More: continued here

WPD investigating fatal shooting in Creekwood

Friday, July 27th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington Police are investigating a fatal shooting in the Creekwood Community.

WPD spokeswoman Lucy Crockett says a man was shot and killed while sitting on his porch on N. 30th Street.

We have a crew at the scene and will have more details as they become available.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina