Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for July, 2012

Sea turtle recovers after trip to Raleigh for special surgery

Friday, July 20th, 2012

TOPSAIL BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Summer is in full swing, and that means it’s busy season at the Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Hospital in Topsail Beach.

The facility is full of turtles in need of help. And one in particular just got some special attention. We told you yesterday about an injured sea turtle taken to Raleigh for surgery. Today, we stopped by the hospital to check on patient.

The Sea Turtle Hospital is no stranger to injured animals. Turtles from up and down the coast make their way to the care center to recover from all kinds of ailments, ranging from cold stun to boating encounters.

Founder Jean Beasley says it’s important for boaters to remember they’re sharing the water.

“Those turtles are using the same water as they do,” Beasley said.

Recently, a little green was found on Holden Beach. Rescuers think this turtle, appropriately named Holden III, suffered a severe injury from a boat propeller.

“It was a very serious injury, and our first task is the stabilize the animal,” Beasley said.

After Holden III was healthy enough to make the trip, she traveled to a vet at NC State in Raleigh. The vet used a procedure often used for repairing turtle shells to fix Holden’s head.

Now, the turtle is back at the Sea Turtle Hospital recovering. Holden is dry docked and still on meds, but her caregivers hope she will soon be able to go back in her tank and then hopefully make her way back to the ocean.

“When they’re out of the water, it’s kind of sad to watch them,” Sea Turtle Hospital intern Danielle O’Farrell said. “And when they’re in the water, even if they’re injured, they seem to forget about it. They are just in their element.”

Beasley has a plea for boaters this summer. She says if you do hit something in the water, please check to see what it was. If it is a sea turtle, no matter what the injury, please contact the Sea Turtle Hospital to get help.

More: continued here

TRAFFIC ALERT: Market-3rd Street intersection to be partially closed starting Monday

Friday, July 20th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — From July 23-Aug. 3, there will be partial closures of the Market/3rd Street intersection while a large manhole is installed and paving and other work is completed. The work will occur in two phases, with detours in place for each phase.

Phase 1: July 23-July 30

Traffic leaving downtown on Market Street will not be able to cross or turn on 3rd Street, but will be able to access 3rd Street at any other intersection in the downtown grid. The official detour will direct traffic from Market Street onto 2nd Street and then Grace Street to 16th Street back to Market Street.

Phase 2: July 31-Aug. 3

Traffic coming into downtown will not be able to cross or turn on 3rd Street, but will be able to access 3rd Street at any other intersection in the downtown grid. The official detour will direct traffic from Market Street onto 17th Street and then Chestnut Street to 3rd Street.

The extensive underground work in the Market Street intersection is part of the North 3rd Street Improvement Project, a joint project between the City and the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority to replace infrastructure and improve the streetscape on North 3rd Street from Market Street to the MLK Parkway. Most of the work is expected to be complete by November. For more information, visit www.wilmingtonnc.gov/north3rd.

More: continued here

City examining taxi stand signs

Friday, July 20th, 2012

More than 1,000 tickets issued so far this year for cars parked illegally in taxi stands

More: continued here

Colorado shooting on minds of Wilmington movie watchers

Friday, July 20th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Although it happened across the country, the shooting at a movie theater in Colorado that killed at least a dozen people hits close to home.

Even the biggest of fans told us the shooting made them think twice Friday about going to a movie they’ve been waiting years to see.

“I didn’t know if it was a set thing, or if it was going to happen and there were multiple people involved” movie watcher Jack Dahl said. “So I asked my dad, ‘Are you sure you still want to go?'”

Dahl and his family and friends decided not to skip out on a Friday matinee despite being shocked and saddened after hearing about the shooting in colorado that turned what was supposed to be an exciting event into a real-life horror film for some.

Dep. Jason Augst is part of the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office’s Emergency Response Team. He says they train all the time for incidents like this, but it’s easy to think there’s no way it could happen here.

“When you see it happen in a place like (Aurora, CO), you realize that it’s everywhere and can happen in any community, and we need to be ready,” Augst said.

Dahl said he was ready.

“If somebody came through, we were just going to dive right behind the chairs that were right behind us,” he said. “I had a plan already just in case something like that did go down.”

Augst said it’s important for people to have situational awareness.

“To be aware of what’s going on around them and the people that are around them,” he said. “But you know, when someone of this mindset intends to do harm to somebody, it’s very difficult to tell people exactly what to do in every situation.”

Dahl and other movie watchers told us the shooting has changed the way they look at any sort of big event.

“I’m pretty sure everybody had it in the back of their minds,” Dahl said.

Both Regal Mayfaire and Carmike Cinemas say shows will go on as usual, and they are not bringing in extra security in addition to the officers already in place for the weekend.

More: continued here

‘No Port Southport’ claims deepwater port plan is dead

Friday, July 20th, 2012

SOUTHPORT, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — The White House this week announced that the federal government will focus its maritime expansion projects on just five major U.S. ports. This expedited work will fund the Port of Miami, the Port of Savannah, the Port of New York and New Jersey and the Port of Charleston. No federal money will be applied to any ports in North Carolina.

Recently also the Republican candidate for Governor of North Carolina Pat McCrory, criticized the state’s spending of $30 million dollars to procure the 600 acres in Southport for the proposed deepwater mega port (NCIT) before any feasibility studies had been done to determine whether this was a viable business venture. His views appeared in an article in the “Cape Fear Watchdog$” by Pat Gannon.

“Questions of feasibility should have been asked before we wasted millions to buy the land and conduct studies,” according to a statement released by McCrory’s press secretary Ricky Diaz.

The Democratic candidate for NC Governor, Walter Dalton, also issued a statement saying that he would not support the construction of a new port if elected and “no one in Raleigh wants that albatross anymore….”

No Port Southport has consistently, from its beginning, argued that the 600 acres of land was purchased prior to any knowledge of its justifiable use as a deepwater port. Our organization has repeatedly pointed out the flawed and backward process the state has taken with this on-going waste of taxpayers’ dollars.

Over the past two years, No Port Southport has shown through contracted independent studies that precisely the ports that the federal government has now put their money behind would eventually handle the future East coast deepwater container traffic.

From Governor Perdue, to all elected state officials and the Department of Transportation, it is time for each person and department to close the book on any deepwater port and put the taxpayers’ money into making our ports at Wilmington and Morehead more competitive and efficient for the markets that they now serve.

Any further consideration by the state to fund more studies on NCIT will be simply wasteful politics at its worst.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina