Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for August, 2012

1 killed in shootout during Goldsboro drug raid

Monday, August 27th, 2012

GOLDSBORO, NC (AP) — Authorities say one man was killed in a shootout with police during a drug raid in Goldsboro.

Investigators said Goldsboro Police and Wayne County deputies were serving a warrant on a home around 10 p.m. Friday when they were fired on.

Authorities say the officers fired back, killing one man and wounding another. Their names have not been released. None of the officers were hurt.

Investigators say 31-year-old Thomas Austin Jr. was arrested after the shootout and charged with five counts of attempted murder. It wasn’t known if he had a lawyer.

The State Bureau of Investigation is looking into the shooting.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

No lane closures, abandoned vehicles during DNC

Monday, August 27th, 2012

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Transportation officials say roads will stay open and clear of abandoned cars during the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte.

The state Department of Transportation said it will prohibit lane closures on interstates, as well as state and U.S. routes beginning Monday. Closures will be prohibited in Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Union, Anson, Gaston and Iredell counties.

The department also is joining with the State Highway Patrol to remove disabled or abandoned vehicles from the shoulder of specific roads in the Charlotte area. Officials say any vehicles parked along roadsides will be towed immediately to ensure safe and efficient travel.

The restrictions will end with the convention. NCDOT will use overhead and portable message signs to alert motorists of problem areas and suggested alternate routes around incidents and congestion.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

Isaac to strike Gulf Coast; remnants not expected in NC

Monday, August 27th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Isaac remains a tropical storm, but appears very organized this morning as it pulls away from Florida. The storm will strengthen in the Gulf of Mexico, likely into a hurricane, as it heads northwest through Wednesday. Landfall now looks very likely Wednesday in a window anywhere from Mobile, Alabama to New Orleans.

Once the storm makes landfall, it looks like it will stall out for a time before its remnants move due north. This means that it’s looking very unlikely that we’ll see direct impacts from the storm here. We’re also not expecting any severe weather. Stay tuned for any possible changes.

However, we have already seen an indirect increase in tropical moisture across the area which will still lead to potentially heavy rain Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. This could lead to minor flooding problems in spots.

You can always see up-to-the-minute forecasts from the StormTrack 3 Weather Team at Hurricanes 101, and catch a full Tropical Video Update

Meteorologist Tim Buckley

 

 

 

More: continued here

Topless women to rally in Asheville for 2nd time

Monday, August 27th, 2012

ASHEVILLE, NC (AP) — A North Carolina protest demanding the right for women to go topless is back for a second year.

Sunday’s rally returns to a downtown Asheville park where an initial demonstration last year drew dozens of bare-breasted women. Police estimated about 2,000 people showed up to watch.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reports that opponents have created a website to show photos of what they call “degrading” acts at the rally. Opponents also are holding a completing rally in Pritchard Park.

The newspaper reports that while cities from Waynesville to Wilmington have local ordinances that prohibit women from exposing their breasts in public, Asheville’s city attorney believes a 1970 state appeals court ruling said female breasts were not “private parts” and therefore can’t be considered indecent.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

Irene’s lesson in NC: Give a Cat 1 storm its due

Monday, August 27th, 2012

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — It’s been a year since Hurricane Irene made landfall in North Carolina, and state officials say about 350 families still aren’t in their homes.

State officials say Beaufort, Pamlico and Hyde counties suffered the worst damage from Irene, which made landfall Aug. 27 near Cape Lookout. Seven people died in the storm in North Carolina, which caused more than $1.2 billion damage in the state.

And the number of people not back in their homes doesn’t include the people still living in damaged homes.

Irene was a Category 1 storm, but it stayed over North Carolina for longer than a hurricane typically does, pushing water into areas that have never suffered hurricane flooding.

Emergency officials say Irene is proof that even a weaker hurricane can cause severe damage.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina