Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for August, 2012

Filmmakers seek funds to finish 1898 race riot film

Friday, August 31st, 2012

It took a village to get a small film about Wilmington’s 1898 race riots off the ground.

More: continued here

Man crashes in emergency room of Gastonia hospital

Friday, August 31st, 2012

GASTONIA, NC (AP) — A Gastonia man has been charged with drunken driving after he crashed into the emergency room of Gaston Memorial Hospital.

Police say 50-year-old Gary Edwin Bledsoe drove his pickup truck into planter that hit a large window at the emergency department Wednesday night.

Bledsoe also has been charged with driving with a revoked license and reckless driving.

A woman said Bledsoe was carrying her to the hospital after she had been stung by a bee and was having breathing problems. Gayla Smith says she lost consciousness before the crash. But she said Thursday that Bledsoe saved her life, despite her injuries from the wreck.

Documents at the magistrate’s office say Bledsoe has a blood alcohol level of .10 percent. North Carolina’s limit is 0.08 percent.

No one else was hurt.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

McIntyre ready for DNC

Friday, August 31st, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — With all eyes about to turn to North Carolina and the Democratic National Convention, Congressman Mike McIntyre will be headed to Charlotte for part of the convention.

The North Carolina delegation is the host delegation for this national convention and they will not miss this opportunity.

“It’s going to be a big boost mainly for North Carolina, Said McIntyre. I think it’s a great opportunity for us to show case the Tar Heel state and to show that in North Carolina we are a state that is always on the move and I think Charlotte is one of the gleaming cites of the south. It will be a great time, there are going to be at some great venues.” McIntyre thinks the president will do well in November.

Congressman McIntyre will not address the national assembly of the convention but he will address the North Carolina assembly. The congressman will also host a campaign event at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

More: continued here

Does Wilmington baseball need a new player?

Friday, August 31st, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The ballpark and baseball in Wilmington. it is certainly not a short story, and now with no final agreement, City Council cannot have vote at its meeting Tuesday.

“It’s a lot of details to work out; we thought we would have it by the 29, we thought we’d have it by the first meeting of September” Mayor Saffo explained. “But is looks like we will have to have this delayed. One of the commitments we made as a council is that we would investigate this thoroughly, we are going to go through the contract line by line, there are items in there that we agree with and there are items that we do
not agree with.” The Mayor said.

Ripken design is again being mentioned, the company confirmed that they were doing an assessment at UNCW and spoke to county representatives, but what about the city?

“I haven’t heard anything from the Ripken group, right now the only group that we have out here is the Braves and Mandalay, that’s the exclusive that we are working with.” Saffo clarified. “ Mandalay has an exclusive to this area and to take care of this area , if they want to give up that option and bring in the Ripken group that would be another discussion for another day, right now our agreement is with Mandalay and the Braves and that’s who we are working with.”

The mayor calls it, a work in progress, and he believes that the city is moving forward. the vote has been moved back to the September 18 council meeting.

More: continued here

ONLY ON 3: Future funding for NHC beach renourishment is questionable

Friday, August 31st, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Beaches along Pleasure Island need to be renourished and it’s going to cost New Hanover County a lot to get it done. According to an agreement still being discussed, the state and federal government will throw in a portion of the price tag, but that funding could soon come to an end.

The county is between a rock and a hard place. Commissioners are at a point where funding beach renourishment could soon be put on the shoulders of the county. Also, it seems the Wilmington Convention Center is making it even more difficult to protect the county’s beaches.

New Hanover County Commissioners along with town leaders from both Carolina Beach and Kure Beach met Thursday to discuss a $14 million beach renourishment project agreement with the Army Corps of Engineers. However, the county may have to give more money than they thought.

“They were going ahead with the beach renourishment as planned and then the state said they would not be responsible for any overages and that threw them into a tailspin,” Kure Beach Mayor Dean Lambeth says.

The project agreement calls for the county to fork up more than $9 million, money that would come from the county’s room occupancy tax. For the past three years, at least $3 million that would have gone towards renourishment and tourism promotion has helped pay for the Wilmington Convention Center.

“The convention center is taking in $1 million a year, so yea that would have helped,” Lambeth says.

County Commissioner Jonathan bar field feels funding for both beaches and the convention center is important, but admits the future for beach renourishment in the county looks a little bleak.

“My concern is that long term what that would mean for that particular fund if the federal government and the state government totally shift the responsibility of beach renourishment down to the local level,” Barfield says. “We’ve got to find some alternative mechanisms to fund that as well.”

Commissioners will decide Tuesday whether to go through with the agreement and spend the more than $9 million plus any extra costs that could come up. During their Thursday meeting, Commissioners were unsure about having to pay the extra expenses if the project goes over budget. Chairman Ted Davis referred to the agreement as a possible “slippery slope.”

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina