Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for September, 2012

StarNews awards grants to teachers

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

Nine teachers from schools in Pender, Brunswick and New Hanover counties received a total of $4,500 in grant money from the StarNews .

More: continued here

Amber Alert issued for 12-year-old girl

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A desperate search to save a child from a registered sex offender is underway. They were last seen in Brunswick County near the state line.

Twelve-year-old Abigale Lefevers is missing from Carteret County. Now a family already dealing with loss is suffering even more.

“To think that anybody would take my 12-year-old daughter away from me after her mother passed away last year,” Abigale’s dad Robert said.

The man wanted for her kidnapping, 38-year-old Timothy Newman, did some odd jobs around the house for Robert. Robert says once he learned about Newman’s past, he told him to stay away. But investigators say Newman still kept in touch with the child.

“All I can tell you for certain is he contacted her numerous times over the past several weeks. We’re looking into that,” Carteret County Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Ken Raper said.

Lefevers last saw his daughter Sunday around 10 p.m. at their home in Newport. When he woke up Monday morning, she was missing.

She may be in Newman’s red 1998 Chrysler Sebring with license plate number AKT-6534. The car was last spotted on US 17 in Brunswick County near the state line, but investigators say by now, it could be anywhere.

And not knowing where she is or if she’s safe is hard for Robert Lefevers to handle.

“I’m concerned, because he told me he’s never going back to prison, so it makes me worried about my daughter,” Lefevers said.

If you know anything about this case, call the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office at (252) 504-4800 or local law enforcement.

More: continued here

Replacement refs rankling football fans

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Many people are still talking Monday Night Football today because of a controversial call by the NFL’s replacement officials.

We decided to find out what locals think about the many questionable calls so far this season.

“It was almost just heartbreaking, because you don’t see stuff like that on television every day,” fan Scottie French said of the call that ended last night’s Packers-Seahawks game. “It’s not fair to the players, the coaches or the fans.”

Fan Josh Snyder said, “I think they need to get the main referees and officials back. I think it’s a disservice to the game to have so many calls going on way.”

“I honestly believe people that take this on take it on because they want to do it,” fan John Bennett said. “Are they qualified all the time at a certain level? I don’t think so.”

Football fans in Wilmington say they think the replacement officials are a bad call.

Veteran high school ref Larry Honeycutt knows one of the replacements. Honeycutt says he knows going from a Friday night game to the NFL is a big step, but anyone could make a controversial call.

“Judgement, pass interference, no pass interference, some of those calls are judgement calls,” Honeycutt said. “We get some of those right, and sometimes we miss some of those.”

Wilmington native Jay Ross is on the practice squad for the Buffalo Bills. He knows the officials are doing the best they can for the training and experience they have.

“One thing coach said to us last week was that these refs are trying to do the best that they can do, and he also said that the real refs made a couple of bad calls last year,” Ross said.

For now, fans, players and coaches wait to see if and when the NFL overturns its call to use replacement officials and gets the regular zebras back on the field.

Some fans we spoke with say they think the replacement officials are ruining the season, but they don’t expect changes any time soon.

This is not the first time the NFL has used replacements. The league employed replacement players for three weeks during a strike in 1987.

More: continued here

New Hanover officials support sea-level rise research

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

The year-long debate on sea-level rise concluded last month when the state’s Coastal Resources Commission forwarded its sea-level rise policy to public hearing.

More: continued here

MacDonald murder case in judge’s hands

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

Both sides have 60 days to file briefs

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina