Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for September, 2012

Already deemed unhealthiest, many Columbus County won’t buckle up

Friday, September 21st, 2012

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — In April, Columbus County was ranked the unhealthiest in the state. Now county residents are considered the least likely in the state to wear a seat belt.

A survey by the Governor’s Highway Safety Program shows only 75 percent of drivers and passengers in Columbus County use their seat belts. That’s the lowest out of all counties surveyed.

‘”I guess it kind of goes hand in hand with us being rated last as far as healthwise,” Columbus County native Harry Edwards said.

Edwards says he consistently wears his seat belt, but he can see why so many in Columbus County don’t. A lot of it, he says, is because the county is so rural.

“We have so many short trip drivers, that to them it’s an inconvenience to buckle up and unbuckle,” Edwards said. “In their mind, they think, ‘I’m just going a short distance.'”

The state says in the past five years, there have been 47 deaths in the county related to not wearing seat belts. This year alone, Highway Patrol says more than 1,600 drivers have been ticketed for seat belt violations. That’s up 30 percent from last year.

All next week, Highway Patrol will crack down on seat belt violations with 14 troopers on roads throughout Columbus County.

A seat belt ticket conviction is a $160.

More: continued here

Coroner says victim dies from hit-and-run, family believes otherwise

Friday, September 21st, 2012

Earlier this week, troopers in South Carolina ruled the death of Cruz Johnson as a hit and run, but family members believe he died differently.

More: continued here

Former Perdue fundraiser pleads guilty

Friday, September 21st, 2012

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — A former aide to North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor obstruction of justice charge related to secret salary payments received while working on the Democrat’s campaign.

Morganton lawyer Juleigh Sitton resigned last year as director of the governor’s western office. She had previously served as a paid fundraiser for Perdue’s 2008 campaign.

A second charge against Sitton for campaign finance violations was dismissed Friday as part of her plea agreement with Wake County prosecutors.

Sitton was indicted on felony charges after receiving $32,000 in unreported salary payments from illegal campaign donations. Her lawyer, Joe Zeszotarski, did not respond to a message seeking comment.

Former Perdue fundraising chairman Peter Reichard of Greensboro pleaded guilty in December to funneling the secret payments to Sitton through his company.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

President Obama falsely claims fast and furious program ‘begun under the previous administration’

Friday, September 21st, 2012

By Jack Tapper
ABC News

Asked about the Fast and Furious program at the Univision forum on Thursday, President Obama falsely claimed that the program began under President George W. Bush.

“I think it’s important for us to understand that the Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration,” the president said. “When Eric Holder found out about it, he discontinued it. We assigned a inspector general to do a thorough report that was just issued, confirming that in fact Eric Holder did not know about this, that he took prompt action and the people who did initiate this were held accountable.”

In actuality, the Fast and Furious program was started in October 2009, nine months into the Obama presidency.

Previous programs involving ATF agents allowing guns to “walk” across the border so as to trace them were run during the Bush presidency, but not this particular “field-initiated program.”

White House officials did not respond to a request for comment after the falsehood was pointed out to them.

Click here to read more at ABCNews.com

More: continued here

Three horses killed in shooting

Friday, September 21st, 2012

The Onslow County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting death of three horses.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina