Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for October, 2012

ONLY ON 3: Witness says Leland cops looked for fights

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Two Leland police officers are off the clock tonight after a fight in downtown Wilmington this weekend. Wilmington Police cited the officers with misdemeanor affray.

One witness, who served as a military police officer, says the officers were asking for trouble.

Eric Glocke is a bouncer at a bar downtown. He says he saw Leland police officers Brandon Crain and Andrew Correll seek out multiple fights early Saturday morning. The first was with a group of Marines that Glocke says wanted nothing to do with the drama.

“A group of Marines actually tried to stop and talk and say, ‘Hey, nothing’s wrong. We’re walking away. Calm down. Let’s all have a good night,’ etc, etc., and they still pressed on actually walking up the street to sidebar trying to confront them,” Glocke said.

Later, Glocke says he saw the officers and other men again trying to start a fight with another group.

“We see three of the guys from the group prior going across the street yelling. Not at each other; across the street just eyes fixed going straight b-line,” Glocke said.

Glocke says the group did not stop fighting until Wilmington Police broke it up. He says that is no way to represent our community.

“Not only are you misrepresenting your station, being a total embarrassment to the human race, you’re going to go out with a bigger group and pick on people that are smaller than you and are trying to walk away from the fight?” Glocke said. “Well done. Way to represent.”

Glocke says a bouncer at City Limits said the officers were kicked out of that bar earlier in the night for trying to start a fight.

Both Correll and Crain, who were hired last year, have been suspended without pay while the Leland Police Department investigates what happened.

More: continued here

Outside money funds Wilmington ballpark battle

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — As Election Day inches closer, the ballpark campaign is heating up. But who’s behind the funding for the race?

According to financial reports, funding for the “Vote Yes” campaign was mainly donated by groups who would directly benefit from a ballpark in the Port City.

The Wilmington Family Entertainment and Baseball Coalition has raised nearly $113,000. Mandalay Baseball Properties and the Atlanta Braves pitched in $12,500. The two companies that own land for proposed sites contributed a combined $37,000. Only two individuals donated to the cause, including campaign spokesman Terry Spencer.

“Vote No Stadium Tax” raised $38,000. While there were 11 individual donors, most of the money, $32,000, came from the conservative group Americans for Prosperity.

More: continued here

Wilmington man pleads guilty to molesting children

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington man faces a at least a decade behind bars after pleading guilty to molesting two young girls more than a year ago.

Jason Boyd Frick, 31, entered a guilty last week in Brunswick County Superior Court to one count of attempted first degree sex offense with a child and one count of indecent liberties with a child. The District Attorney’s Office says the charges stem from incidents that occurred with a six-year-old girl and a four-year-old girl in August 2011.

A judge sentenced Frick to 10 years to 14 years nine months. Frick will also be required to complete sex offender treatment in prison and to register as a sex offender for 30 years after he is released.

More: continued here

Upset bid process extended for old hospital

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

Monday was originally slated as the last day a company could offer commissioners in Brunswick County an upset bid for the old hospital, but the deadline has been extended.

More: continued here

Passenger indicted in fatal Pender wreck

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012

Powers, 26, is charged with second-degree murder, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon, battery on an unborn child and driving without a license, according to District Attorney Ben David.

The indictment comes a week after law enforcement charged Powers as he was released from the hospital. He made his first court appearance a couple hours later on a stretcher.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina