Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for January, 2013

UNC, Kentucky to resume basketball series next season

Monday, January 28th, 2013

UNC said Monday that the two schools will play next season in Chapel Hill. They played for 12 straight seasons but did not meet this year.

More: continued here

Economic impact of UNCW’s volunteer service valued at $3.89M

Monday, January 28th, 2013

The economic impact of UNCW's volunteer services are valued at $3.89 million, according to a new report by the Chancellor's Office of Community Partnerships.

More: continued here

LIVE @ 5:30pm: Saffo’s State of the City address

Monday, January 28th, 2013

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo will give his annual State of the City address tonight beginning at 5:30 p.m.

A city spokesperson says the mayor will review some of the city’s major accomplishments from last year and will also touch on upcoming goals for 2013.

You can watch it live on-air during WWAY NewsChannel 3 at 5:30pm, or online here at wwaytv3.com.

The event is at City Hall and is free and open to the public.

More: continued here

Group: McCrory should try to live on $350 a week

Monday, January 28th, 2013

MARTHA WAGGONER
Associated Press

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Advocates for the unemployed are calling on North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory to live for one week on the maximum weekly unemployment benefit of $350 that lawmakers are considering.

They held a news conference Monday, challenging McCrory and legislators “to literally put their money where their mouth is” and survive for one week on $350.

Kevin Rogers of Action NC says the proposed cut to unemployment benefits contrasts sharply with McCrory’s raises to Cabinet secretaries. McCrory told The News & Observer of Raleigh that he gave the raises of a combined 8 percent so the Cabinet leaders “can afford to live.”

A House committee meets Thursday to discuss decreasing the maximum unemployment benefit from about $535 weekly.

A McCrory spokeswoman said she would have a response to the challenge later.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

Fire on the Dock pairings set

Monday, January 28th, 2013

WILMINGTON, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — The 2013 “Got To Be NC” Competition Dining Series has announced the sixteen chefs chosen to compete in the preliminary rounds of Fire on the Dock, which kick off Feb. 18.

Sponsored by the NC Department of Agriculture and Southern Foods-Pate Dawson, Fire on the Dock will pit 16 of the area’s best chefs in an Iron Chef-style competition. The Fire on the Dock winner will go head-to-head with the other regional competition.

Below are the participating chefs and the dates for the dinners to be held at Bluewater Grill in Wrightsville Beach. All dinners start at 6:30 pm.

Feb. 18
Scott Grimm of Dockside versus Antoine Murray of Cape Fear Country Club

Feb. 19
James Doss of Rx versus Thomas Mobely of The Oceanic

Feb. 20
Mark Lawson of Blockade Runner- East Oceanfront Dining versus Joanie Babcock of Southern Exposure

Feb. 25
Clark Merrell of Circa 81 versus Shane Tyner of King Neptune

Feb. 26
Josh Woo of Yo Sake versus Mark Andrews of Bald Head Island Club

Feb. 27
Gerry Fong of Persimmons versus James Rivenbark of South Beach Grill

March 4
Brent Poteat of 22 North versus Pat Greene of Elijah’s

March 5
Kristen Mitchell of Cameo 1900 versus Josh Petty of The Pub at Sweet N Savory

March 11
Feb. 18 winner versus Feb. 19 winner

March 12
Feb. 20 winner versus Feb. 25 winner

March 20
Feb. 26 winner versus Feb. 27 winner

March 21
March 4 winner versus March 5 winner

March 27
March 11 winner versus March 12 winner

March 28
March 20 winner versus March 21 winner

April 3
March 27 winner versus March 28 winner

ABOUT THE “GOT TO BE NC” COMPETITION DINING SERIES

The mission of the yearlong, statewide competition is to engage the farmer, the chef and the diner in an exciting evening of food and entertainment with the goal of promoting North Carolina chef talent and the use of local ingredients. Each of the five regional competitions feature 16 chefs and 15 single-elimination dinner battles judged by the public. This is the second year the concept has been executed statewide. It was started eight years ago by event host and founder Jimmy Crippen in Blowing Rock at Crippen’s Country Inn and Restaurant as Fire on the Rock.

Statewide sponsors include The North Carolina Department of Agriculture (NCDA), Southern Foods-Pate Dawson, OUR STATE Magazine, Crippen’s Country Inn & Restaurant in Blowing Rock and h.ITS Technology. The Office of the State Fire Marshal in North Carolina provides information at each dinner as cooking is the number one cause of home fires and burn injuries.

How it works: Paying guests sample each course in a blind tasting alongside a panel of culinary and celebrity judges in a series of three dinner competitions. Each evening, two restaurants “battle” it out side-by-side in a single elimination, “Iron Chef”-style format. Guests savor a six-course menu (three dishes from each chef without knowing whose food they’re tasting) created around a featured ingredient. For all seven dinners, the ingredient will come from a North Carolina source. The featured ingredient is revealed to the chefs on the day of the event, and it must be used in each of their three courses.

Diners, alongside culinary and guest judges, rate each dish and determine who moves on to the next round and who goes home.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina