Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for February, 2013

Southport aldermen discuss open city manager position

Thursday, February 21st, 2013

SOUTHPORT, NC (WWAY) –- The Southport Board of Aldermen held a special session Wednesday night to discuss potential replacements for City Manager Pat Thomas, and it appears they have already swung and missed on one candidate.

When Thomas announced last Friday that he would resign from his position, it caught many within the city government by surprise.

“We really regret that Mr. Thomas has elected to resign, because he is a great city manager,” Mayor Robert Howardsaid. “We are very proud that he chose Southport, and we chose him, and we’re going to miss him.”

The Board of Aldermen thought they had a ready-made replacement for Thomas in City Clerk Regina Alexander due to her past experience as interim city manager.

“With unanimous consent, we offered the position to City Clerk Regina Alexander, and she felt like we needed to consider someone else, but she will be with us leading us hand to hand,” Howard said.

In his letter of resignation Thomas said, “I have found the framework and process of municipal government in Southport to be significantly different than anticipated in a council-manager jurisdiction. This has made it difficult for me to realize the degree of satisfaction and accomplishment from my work that I desire, based on my professional background and abilities.”

Still Mayor Howard says that to keep the city’s initiatives moving forward, the next city manager needs to have similar qualities to Thomas.

“We’ve had good success over time, for the most part, with our city managers, and we could say that Mr. Thomas met all of those criteria,” Howard said.

The City of Southport will post the city manager job in the coming days.

We tried to speak with Thomas at the meeting, but he declined an interview.

More: continued here

ATF, SBI investigate house fire on Carolina Beach

Thursday, February 21st, 2013

A house caught fire on Virginia Avenue off Canal Drive in Carolina Beach late Wednesday night.

More: continued here

Energy exploration bill returns to NC Senate panel

Thursday, February 21st, 2013

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Supporters of a bill to allow permits for underground natural gas exploration in North Carolina say the legislation would cause energy companies to consider drilling in the state.

The measure is expected to receive more debate and a vote Thursday in a Senate committee. It authorizes regulators to issue the first licenses for horizontal drilling and fracking five months after drilling rules are finalized.

The bill also lays out how energy production would be taxed and urges the governor to work with South Carolina and Virginia to seek Atlantic offshore drilling.

Environmental groups said earlier this week there’s no need to rush the bill while regulations are being developed. They’re also worried about changes involving how wastewater and hydraulic fracturing fluid could be stored.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More: continued here

Firefighters put out flames at Carolina Beach home

Thursday, February 21st, 2013

CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Firefighters put out flames into Thursday morning at a Carolina Beach home that was under construction.

According to New Hanover County Dispatch, the call came in just before 11:00 p.m. Wednesday.

The home on Virginia Avenue, near Canal Drive, was fully under construction after being built, and dispatchers say they do not believe anyone was living there yet.

The fire was put out around 11:15 Wednesday night, but crews worked into the morning hours Thursday to monitor hotspots.

Crews are investigating the cause of the fire.

 

Photo Courtesy: Judy Royal, StarNewsOnline.com

More: continued here

Firefighters put out fire at Carolina Beach home

Thursday, February 21st, 2013

CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Firefighters put out flames into Thursday morning at a Carolina Beach home that was under construction.

According to New Hanover County Dispatch, the call came in just before 11:00 p.m. Wednesday.

The home on Virginia Avenue, near Canal Drive, was fully under construction after being built, and dispatchers say they do not believe anyone was living there yet.

The fire was put out around 11:15 Wednesday night, but crews worked into the morning hours Thursday to monitor hotspots.

Crews are investigating the cause of the fire.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina