WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — It’s the 20th year for the “Click It or Ticket” Campaign in North Carolina, and officers are still pulling over drivers in the area for not wearing seat belts.
Just in time for Memorial Day, law enforcement is again out to remind drivers to buckle up. They say they’re still surprised by how many people don’t buckle in, and the excuses they have for not doing it.
“I’ve heard everything,” said Wilmington Police Department Traffic Unit Cpl. Adam Schwartzel. “You know, it’s uncomfortable. I don’t like to buckle up. I just pulled out of here. I just left this place. There’s a million excuses but there’s no reason why people shouldn’t buckle up,” Cpl. Schwartzel said.
However, numbers show the campaign is working. The North Carolina Department of Transportation says the number of fatal crashes involving unbelted passengers is down from more than 38,000 in 1992, to about 8,100 last year.
The “Click It or Ticket” campaign runs through June 2.
More: continued here