Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for July, 2013

Victim’s son says fight over money for house led to Pender murder-suicide

Thursday, July 25th, 2013


ROCKY POINT, NC (WWAY) — A Pender County woman is dead, and so is the man investigators say killed her.

The call originally came in as a house fire, but when responders arrived to the home on Little Kelly Road in Rocky Point last night, they found the body of Myrle Carr inside. Firefighters then called the Pender County Sheriff’s Office when they realized it was probably not the fire that killed her.

Carr’s son says investigators told him a gunshot killed his mother instantly.

Her family says Carr and her boyfriend Wilber Price Jr. bought the home just over a year ago. They say the couple had been arguing over the home’s finances and guess that was the motive for killing the 73-year-old Wednesday night.

“My mother had put a lot of her money into this place, and he had not put any money into it,” Jim Merritt said. “The understanding was he would pay for half, but he made it pretty clear after a while that he wasn’t ever going to do that. Money does funny things to people. It really does.”

Investigators quickly learned Price had ties to Virginia and sent a warning to law enforcement that he might be coming that way. Just after midnight the Sheriff’s Office got a call from police in Hopewell, VA, saying Price had committed suicide in their parking lot.

More: continued here

N.C. ports asked to use mega port land for park

Thursday, July 25th, 2013

An environmental group urged the ports authority board to let the state create a new park on 600 acres

More: continued here

Ferry routes departing Bald Head Island canceled

Thursday, July 25th, 2013

The channel to the island was affected by lunar low tides and shoaling

More: continued here

Boone hotel where 3 died back open for business

Thursday, July 25th, 2013

BOONE, NC (WSOCTV.com) — A Boone hotel where three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning is back open for business.

An employee of the Best Western on East King Street said the hotel is accepting reservations for Thursday night, and the hotel reopened Wednesday. The town issued a certificate of occupancy to the hotel last Thursday.

The hotel has been closed for more than a month after 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams was found dead in Room 225. His death and the deaths of Daryl and Shirley Jenkins in the same room in April were determined to be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Click here to read more at WSOCTV.com

More: continued here

Retail Details Celebrating distinctive dinnerware

Thursday, July 25th, 2013

What you’re eating off of should look as good as the food tastes.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina