Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for August, 2013

Steam blow begins at Sutton power plant

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013

STEAM_PLANT.jpg

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Duke Energy is blowing out its new power plant… literally.

For the next ten days, the Sutton Combined Cycle Plant on US 421 near Wilmington will blow steam through the new plant to make sure rust and other contaminants have been cleaned out. Neighbors may hear a low rumble during the process.

After 60 years in operation, the three coal-powered generators will be retired and replaced by the new, cleaner steam plant in December.

More: continued here

Artists blend their styles in show at 8 Fine Art Gallery

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013

On first glance, you’d think that Tim Fitzgerald’s paintings of boats, landscapes and mountain scenes are simplistic, realistic pieces

More: continued here

16-year-old charged in shooting in Wilmington

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013

A 16-year-old was arrested in connection with a shooting late Tuesday afternoon in Wilmington.

More: continued here

Mother accused of having son ‘beat the gay away’ could face hate crime charges

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013

Prosecutors with the Columbus County District Attorney's Office will evaluate if a mother accused of telling her son to “beat the gay away” from his brother should be charged with a hate crime.

More: continued here

ONLY ON 3: Family thinks they saw missing Wilmington man on WWAY

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013

cottle.jpg

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The aunt of a missing Wilmington man says she thinks she spotted her nephew on WWAY NewsChannel 3.

The woman was watching our 6 p.m. newscast earlier this week when she spotted a man resembling her missing nephew.

While David Cottle Jr.’s father says he thinks the man his son, Cottle’s mother says she does not believe it is not him.

A story about feeding the homeless in Raleigh shows a man who looks like Cottle. The 40-year-old has been missing from New Hanover County since March.

We showed Cottle’s parents images from the video. His father says it’s his son.

“Yeah, I think it’s him,” David Cottle Sr. “I’m pretty sure it’s him.”

But his mother says she would know if it was her son.

“I don’t think it’s David by the nose, and the ears, and the glasses,” Catherine Bacchi said. “It just doesn’t look like him to me.”

Bacchi says she had high hopes this would be her son, but she was disappointed when she saw the picture.

“It gives me hope. I hope, but I don’t know, it’s just been so long now. It’s just not like him not to be in touch with somebody,” she said.

Cottle’s father remains optimistic.

“Your hopes do go up, so you hope everything turns out the way you want it,” he said. “So that’s what I’m hoping to happen.”

Cottle’s parents tell us they just want to know that their son is alive, and safe.

“We just want to know that you’re OK. We do love you. Please, David, just let somebody know if you’re alive… That’s it,” Bacchi said. “I miss him dearly.”

We sent the still frames to the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office. Spokesman Sgt. Jerry Brewer says he forwarded the stills to the detective covering the case to determine whether they will look into this.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina