Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for September, 2013

Brunswick deputy fired after estranged husband confronts her with photos of men’s genitalia

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013

BRUNSWICK COUNTY (WWAY) – A former Brunswick County Sheriff’s deputy said sexting cost her her job and led to another deputy’s demotion, but the Sheriff’s Office says there was no such scandal.

It all started last month when Deputy Nikkita Beresoff said her estranged husband, Jeremy Beresoff, broke into her Southport home. She said he looked through her phone and saw she was sexting.

Nikkita Beresoff said Jeremy Beresoff stalked her all day on August 13th and even followed her on a couple of calls.

Later on, he saw her eating at HWY-55 in Shallotte, walked in, and showed her pictures of male gentalia on the phone demanding to know who it was.

A day later, the Sheriff fired Nikkita.

When we spoke with her Wednesday she said she was fired because she lied about the sexting to protect the other deputy involved.

Beresoff admitted to us she sent and received photos from the other deputy, but she insists that was the extent of their relationship.

She said that deputy was demoted but refused to give his name.

She said a detective also asked her to send him photos and she refused. She says the Sheriff’s Office went through the information on her phone and found the detective’s text message asking for the photos.

Beresoff said that detective has also been demoted.

Spokeswoman Emily Flax said “The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office has been contacted by two separate media outlets within the past week stating that they have received information regarding 9-10 Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Deputies being involved in inappropriate texting/emailing within the past 30-60 days. No adverse personnel actions have been taken against any deputy for inappropriate texting/emails.”

nikki.jpg

More: continued here

WPD responds to recent armed robberies

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington Police are searching for three masked men who robbed a Wilmington Pizza Hut last night, meanwhile they say they’ve solved other high-profile crimes.

“Pick up the phone, use text-a-tip, do the right thing. We need information,” said Police Chief Ralph Evangelous.

Evangelous is pleading with the public for help solving a recent string of armed robberies.

Evangelous says his department is working on several leads right now, and that he has a pretty good idea who the offenders might be.

“I could name off one or two right now, but I won’t, because I will get in trouble again, but I can name off one or two that are probably good for dozens, dozens and dozens of crimes,” said Evangelous.

The Pizza Hut on Oleander Drive was the latest business robbed.

Investigators say three masked men held up the restaurant before 10:00 p.m., Wednesday night.

The thieves are still on the run.

The chief says crooks are getting a jump on the Christmas rush.

“Normally robberies increase in November through Christmas and New Year’s, but it started early this year,” said Evangelous.

Meanwhile an accused bank robber is behind bars.

Ottis McGill is charged with robbing the New Bridge Bank on South College Road September 6 and the Western Union on North Second Street August 21.

McGill is also suspected in bank heists in Elizabethtown and Lumberton.
No one at Pizza Hut would talk to us today, and the corporate office never called us back.

Police say no tip is too small or too insignificant.

If you see or hear anything call police.

Cheif.jpg

More: continued here

Lines drawn in Brunswick sales tax debate

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013

Brunswick County’s sales tax review committee kicked off its study Wednesday

More: continued here

Cucalorus Film Festival announces films for the Works-In-Progress Program

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The Cucalorus Film Festival announced the first ten films selected for their Works-In-Progress program at the 19th annual film festival.

The films chosen for the Works-In-Progress program are films that are not yet complete.

Cucalorus’s Dan Brawley says it’s a great opportunity for filmmakers to get input and feedback on their work.

“The goal of the program is really to help filmmakers make sort of critical decisions as they finish a project,” Brawley said.

Brawley says it’s also informative for audience members who get to take a deeper look into the film-making process.

The festival runs from November 13th-17th.

cucalorus.png

More: continued here

Redenbaugh named WECT Athlete of the Week.

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013

Hoggard soccer player Zach Redenbaugh is this week's WECT Athlete of the Week.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina