Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for September, 2013

Fort Bragg soldier dies in training exercise

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

files/pictures/picture-16.jpg

.

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) – Officials at Fort Bragg say an 18th Airborne Corps soldier has died in a parachute accident during a training exercise.

A statement from the Army post says the soldier’s identity has not been released pending notification of family. The accident is under investigation.

The Fayetteville Observer reports (http://bit.ly/18QmAlg) the soldier’s death is the first in a parachute training accident in two years.

Staff Sgt. Jamal Clay died on June 25, 2011, when he fell 800 feet to his death during a training jump at Fort Bragg’s Sicily Drop Zone.

Clay was a member of the 82nd Airborne Division. Officials said he died using one of the Army’s newest parachutes. Early reports blamed a parachute malfunction for Clay’s death.

Since then, Army officials changed training and how the parachute is packed.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

files/pictures/picture-16.jpg

More: continued here

WWAY’s Henderson is Pecan Festival queen

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

The festival will be held Oct. 31-Nov. 2 in Whiteville

More: continued here

Car wreck sends three to hospital

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A car wreck sent three to the hospital around 6:30 p.m this evening.

Brunswick county dispatch says the two car wreck happened at 1450 Fifty Lakes Drive in front of the Old Brunswick General Store in Southport.

We will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

police_car.jpg

More: continued here

Bank of America told to pay in discrimination case

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

files/pictures/picture-16.jpg

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – An administrative law judge with the U.S. Department of Labor has ordered Bank of America to pay black job applicants more than $2 million in back wages and interest to settle a discrimination case.

A statement from the agency said the Charlotte-based bank applied unfair and inconsistent selection criteria, leading to the rejection of qualified black applicants for teller and entry-level clerical and administrative positions.

The decision affects 1,147 applicants. It awards $964,033 to 1,034 applicants who were rejected for jobs in 1993 and $1,217,560 to 113 individuals who were rejected between 2002 and 2005

Judge Linda S. Chapman rejected the bank’s arguments for a lower award on the grounds that they could not take advantage of missing records that they had failed to keep.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

files/pictures/picture-16.jpg

More: continued here

City candidates forum eyes downtown district buildup

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013

Much of the debate focused on the continued development of the downtown district

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina