Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for September, 2013

Man indicted for allegedly attacking Leland officer

Monday, September 23rd, 2013

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A man Leland Police say beat up an officer during a field sobriety test in July has been indicted.

District Attorney Jon David says a grand jury indicted Joseph Allan Lambert for one charge of assault on a law enforcement officer inflicting serious injury, two charges of assaulting a government official, two charges of resisting a public officer, DWI and possession of an open container.

Sgt. J. Keel was attempting to give Joseph Allan Lambert a sobriety test, but police say Lambert came out of the car swinging. The warrant says the suspect repeatedly punched and kicked officer Keel in the face.

More: continued here

Wilmington Hammerheads changing ownership, not coach

Monday, September 23rd, 2013

WECT's John Smist just spoke with Bill Rudisill, previous owner, who confirmed a deal was completed yesterday that gives majority ownership to George Altirs. Rudisill will remain on the board with the team as a minority owner.

More: continued here

Brunswick teacher cleared of animal cruelty charges

Monday, September 23rd, 2013

Beke M. Lindsay was charged with three counts of cruelty to animals.

More: continued here

ONLY ON 3: Kenyan mall attacks close to home for man with Wilmington ties

Monday, September 23rd, 2013

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — This weekend’s mall massacre in Kenya hits close to home for a man with Wilmington connections.

Bill Coble’s parents and brother live here. Coble has spent the past several years doing humanitarian projects in Kenya and visited the mall last week.

“I was there one week ago prior to the attacks sitting in the exact place where the attacks started,” Coble told WWAY during a phone interview today. “We had good friends that are american that were there one day before.”

Coble is the founder of Start with One Kenya, which is a non-profit organization that provides clean water to rural areas of the country.

Coble now lives in Kenya, but was not in Nairobi on the day of the attacks that killed 68 people.

“It’s as close to being home for me as anything here in Kenya. It is a modern mall with nice shops,” Coble said.

Last year I traveled to Kenya and spent time with Coble and his team and even experienced the security check points at local shopping centers.

“The way it is built, there is very limited access, which is probably why it was a target, because you can only get into the mall from three different locations, so once you are in it’s hard to get out,” he said.

Coble says he and his team are in contact with the US State Department. He says he continues to follow the events as they unfold, but that these most recent attacks won’t affect his mission.

“Do I fear for my life? No. Am I a little more vigilant? Yes, absolutely,” Coble said.

Coble and his wife will remain in Kenya for the next few months. They hope to return to Wilmington before the end of the year.


More: continued here

Suspect of Mayfaire manhunt caught

Monday, September 23rd, 2013

Deputies in Duplin County have charged Marlon Maldonado Funez on a charge of communicating threats against another individual, according to the Duplin County Sheriff's Department.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina