Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for November, 2013

School board attorney: No ban on ‘Red for Ed’

Friday, November 22nd, 2013

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Apparently New Hanover County teachers can still wear “Red for Ed” shirts at school.

Today the New Hanover County School Board released a letter from its attorney Wayne Bullard to attorneys for the North Carolina Association of Educators. It was a response to a letter the school board received Wednesday from the NCAE.

In his letter Bullard wrote the district does not have a ban on “Red for Ed” shirts in schools. That’s a reversal from less than two weeks ago when teachers were informed they could wear red, but could not wear the message “Red for Ed,” which the school board said was a political statement not allowed under district policy.

Bullard wrote that “the (b)oard clarified its position at its work session (Tuesday) to state that we are not aware of any teachers or other employees of New Hanover County Schools being threatened with disciplinary action for exercising their Constitutional rights.”

Bullard also wrote that the board did not hold an illegal closed meeting Nov. 4. He said the session was closed because board members were discussing whether certain employees were violating the board’s policies about political activities at school and whether certain administrators were enforcing the policies. He said by law such discussions of such personnel matters must be discussed in private.

“Suffice it to say that the Board is concerned about orchestrated political activities by its teachers taking place on school grounds in front of students who are a captive audience,” Bullard wrote. “The (b)oard clearly has the right and responsibility to regulate such conduct and speech.”

On Nov. 4 teachers at several schools in the county and elsewhere in the state staged “walk-ins” to make a statement about teacher pay and education reforms in North Carolina.

Bullard also said the board “strongly supports public education.”

“However, unlike some groups, the (b)oard supports all stakeholders in public education,” he wrote.


More: continued here

Woman charged in armed robbery

Friday, November 22nd, 2013

A Bolivia woman was charged in a Nov. 3 armed robbery

More: continued here

A relatively quiet hurricane season so far

Friday, November 22nd, 2013

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season packed lots of storms, but not much punch. A season’s ACE value, or accumulated cyclone energy, considers each storm’s maximum wind speed every 6 hours. An average hurricane season produces an ACE value between 66 and 111, but this year’s ace value is 30…reflecting a relatively weak bunch of storms.

Only 2 of the 13 named storms were hurricanes and one of which, Humberto, arrived historically late in the season and just sort of spun around in the Atlantic.

The only storm to even hit the East Coast was Tropical Storm Andrea, but with little to no significance other than attracting the attention of Good Morning America Meteorologist Ginger Zee.

So, why has this year’s Atlantic Hurricane Season been so unimpressive? There are two major contributing factors. Tropical storms get torn apart by dry air, and there was a lot of that to go around this season.

Winds off the coast of West Africa blew dust and dry air from the Sahara Desert over the Atlantic waters. Also, a drought in Brazil lead to an increase in dry air from the Southern Hemisphere.

But even during a quiet Atlantic hurricane season, one tropical system still made a lot of noise from the other side of the globe. Super Typhoon Haiyan blew through the Philippines and claimed thousands of lives. It was one of the strongest storms in recorded history.


More: continued here

Teachers cleared to wear ‘Red for ed’ shirts

Friday, November 22nd, 2013

The issue drew protesters to Tuesday’s school board work session

More: continued here

City: Second Love Grove access won’t come quick or cheap

Friday, November 22nd, 2013

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington leaders have been looking for a second way in and out of the Love Grove community for decades.

A June train derailment that cut the neighborhood off proved the need again.

Leaders say they have a couple of options: Work with CSX or act alone.

The city says CSX and the NC Department of Transportation will not get involved until CSX does a road study. That could take more than a year.

“It’s not a quick fix. It’s two to three years even if we were to make a decision today,” Mayor Bill Saffo said. “I think what Councilman (Kevin) O’grady shared with us today is the commitment this council has got to make is are we willing to start appropriating the money to make that second access?”

Leaders say years ago there was a plan to make a second access from One Tree Hill Way. That plan would have cost the city up to $6 million. Leaders say no solution will be quick or cheap.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina