Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for February, 2014

ONLY ON 3: Man accuses WPD of using excessive force during stop

Thursday, February 20th, 2014

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — How far is too far for law enforcement to go while searching for a suspect? According to Charlotte Burns one moment her son was walking home from work, and the next he was in handcuffs with multiple guns pointed at him.

“I’ve always taught my children that cops are good guys if you need help, but not now-a-days,” said Charlotte Burns.

19-year-old Benjamin Burns says he was walking home down Market St. when a Wilmington Police Officer stopped him and asked to see some identification because he fit a description of a criminal they say was armed and dangerous.

“He had a polo shirt on with a collar, and a pair of jeans, and black clean sneakers,” said Burns.

While Burns was talking to the officer four more squad cars pulled up, and officers approached him with their guns drawn to cuff him despite the fact he was cooperative and freely offered his ID.

“If they were scared that he was this Josh guy they should have had one gun or a taser on him until they figured out, but 12 guns pulled on my son?” said Bush. “I would have been terrified and his hands were up he wasn’t even acting aggressive!”

After police verified that Burns wasn’t the suspect they let the traumatized 19-year-old go with an apology, but his mother says they took the families piece of mind.

“It scared me because now-a-days the cops seem like they have gone a little gun crazy,” said Burns. “My biggest fear was if he would have made one wrong move would they have shot and killed him too?”

A WPD spokeswoman says that she didn’t have immediate information on the incident, but it sounded like common procedure since the suspect they were looking for was believed to be armed and dangerous.

More: continued here

Prosecutors file new subpoenas over Dan River coal ash

Thursday, February 20th, 2014

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Federal prosecutors have served North Carolina’s environmental agency with 20 additional subpoenas seeking documents and ordering state employees to testify before a grand jury.

The move is part of a broadening criminal investigation triggered by a massive coal ash spill into the Dan River.

The subpoenas made public by the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources on Wednesday are dated Feb. 11 and Tuesday. They came after two subpoenas The Associated Press previously reported were issued to the state agency and Duke Energy.

The new subpoenas seek documents related to the agency’s regulation of Duke’s coal ash dumps before the Feb. 2 spill, which coated the bottom of the river with toxic ash up to 70 miles downstream.

Duke has declined to share copies of subpoenas it received.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


More: continued here

‘Sleepy Hollow’ star, Orlando Jones, to take the stage in Wilmington

Thursday, February 20th, 2014

Sleepy Hollow's Orlando Jones plans to take the stage in Wilmington.

More: continued here

SPECIAL REPORT: Local Patients Rate Obamacare

Thursday, February 20th, 2014

We wanted to know if people in our area were signing up for this public health insurance, and if so, did they like it?

More: continued here

Durham man charged in shooting of 5-month-old child

Thursday, February 20th, 2014

DURHAM, NC (AP) — Police in Durham have arrested a man in connection with the shooting of a 5-month-old girl.

Spokeswoman Kammie Michael said 21-year-old Arin Tavon Futrell is charged with felony negligent child abuse resulting in bodily injury. Michael said Futrell also was arrested on outstanding warrants charging him with attempted breaking and entering and conspiracy to commit breaking and entering.

According to police, officers responded to a shooting call at 7:38 a.m. Wednesday. Investigators said a baby girl had suffered a gunshot wound to her hand and leg. The child is being treated for injuries that do not appear to be life-threatening.

Investigators said the shooting occurred on the porch of a house and appeared to have been an accident. A firearm was recovered.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina