Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather
     

 

 

Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for February, 2014

Onslow County man charged with 58 sex crimes including rape and incest

Friday, February 21st, 2014

JACKSONVILLE, NC (WWAY) — After a three week investigation into the sexual assault of several children, authorities arrested a Jacksonville man.

Bruce Edward Green faces many charges including rape, incest, child abuse and indecent liberties with a child. The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office said the investigation began when one of the alleged victims came forward. Then, investigators said they discovered there were many more.

The 53-year-old is being held under a $5.4 million bond at the Onslow County Detention Center.

Green’s first court appearance will be Feb. 21 in Onslow County District Court.

The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office say the charges include:

Second Degree Forcible Sexual Offense (X15)
Second Degree Rape (X14)
Incest (X14)
Statutory Rape of a Person under 15 years of age by a Defendant at least 6 years older than the victim (X8)
Indecent Liberties with a Child (X4)
Felony Child Abuse (X3)

Bruce_Edward_Green.jpg

More: continued here

BATTLE OF THE BLUES: Which team has the better fans? HALFTIME UPDATE

Friday, February 21st, 2014

We asked you guys to Like, share, and retweet our post to show which team's fans were better via social media. Here are the results.

More: continued here

Weather forcing changes to UNCW baseball schedule

Friday, February 21st, 2014

Due to expected rain on Friday, Buffalo Wild Wings Battle at the Beach schedule has been changed with all games being played on Saturday and Sunday.

More: continued here

NHCSB budget committee seeks millions from county

Friday, February 21st, 2014

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Earlier this month Governor Pat McCrory said he wanted to increase pay for young teacher, and now the New Hanover County School Board could ask for millions in funding to make that possible.

“What it comes down to with the amount of time we put in is not equitable with the amount of pay that we earn,” said teacher Chris Meek.

With North Carolina teachers ranking 48th in pay Governor McCrory recently asked the general assembly to mandate a minimum annual salary of $33,000 next year for teachers with less than seven years of experience.

To prepare for that demand, a budget committee is proposing that the New Hanover County School Board ask the County Commission for close to $4.5 million more than they received last year.

“Teachers control the future more than anybody else,” said New Hanover County Commission Chairman Woody White. “It’s imperative that we pay them more than anybody else and it’s imperative that we pay them as much as we can afford.”

The district’s current proposal budgets for McCrory’s plan to be approved, and all New Hanover County teachers with more than seven years’ experience to receive a local supplement increase.

“Every county has teacher supplements, so our county would be adding on to that, and increasing our supplement,” said White. “We’re 34th in the state and we need to get that supplement high so we can retain and recruit the very best in North Carolina so that our kids can have the very best education that we can afford them.”

While New Hanover County teachers welcome the raise some question whether the school board is going about it the right way.

“When there asking the county to pick up the state’s responsibility it’s unfair to the county,” said Meek. “While it is a welcome increase for teachers in the county there are other employees in the county who have not received raises.”

A New Hanover County school’s spokeswoman says the board has a number of other options on the table if the general assembly doesn’t approve McCrory’s plan, or if the county can’t fund the full $4.5 million.

teachers00000000.jpg

More: continued here

Late run pushes Cougars past Seahawks

Friday, February 21st, 2014

Senior guard Afreyea Tolbert scored 16 points to lead three players in double figures as the College of Charleston pulled away late from UNCW, 67-53, in a Colonial Athletic Association women's basketball game Thursday night at Trask Coliseum.

More: continued here

 

Archives

News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

 
 
  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina