Wilmington HotelsWilmington AdvertiseWilmington AttractionsWilmington BeachesWilmington Business DirectoryWilmingtonWilmingtonWilmington GolfWilmington JobsWilmington NewsWilmington DiningWilmington Weather



Wilmington, NC News

  Free Wilmington Travel Guide!

Archive for July, 2014

NC Film Office says production has spent $268 million and created 19,000 jobs in last six months

Friday, July 25th, 2014

RALEIGH, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — Six months into 2014, the North Carolina Film Office reports an estimated production tally of $268 million in direct in-state spending and nearly 19,000 job opportunities for North Carolinians.

As of July 15, more than 40 productions had filed “intent to film” forms indicating that they have filmed or will film in the Tar Heel State. The resulting activity accounts for more than 3,300 production days spread across 35 of the state’s counties. The job opportunities include more than 3,000 crew positions for the North Carolina’s highly skilled film professionals, 500 well-paying talent opportunities and 15,000 background talent positions.

Highlights of the first half of 2014 include the return of production on the television series Under The Dome, Banshee and Sleepy Hollow and the upcoming new series Secrets & Lies as well as the studio feature films Max, The Longest Ride, Max Steel and the Untitled Armored Car project. Work has also been done on the independent films Ashby and Union Bound and national commercials for Biomet, Pepsi, and Xarelto plus lifestyle television shows Love It or List It and the Peabody Award winning A Chef’s Life.

The 2014 mid-year figures are a strong follow-up to 2013, which saw a record-breaking 5,000+ production days from more than 60 productions that created nearly 25,000 job opportunities, including more than 4,000 crew positions. The 2014 mid-year figures eclipse last year’s total direct in-state spending mark of more than $254 million by productions.

During the past six years, productions have had a direct in-state spend of more than $1.3 billion.

The North Carolina Film Office is part of the state Division of Tourism, Film and Sports Development within the North Carolina Department of Commerce. Its primary responsibilities are to recruit productions to North Carolina by marketing the state’s assets, which include the film incentive, the crew base, established infrastructure and locations statewide. The NCFO also assists productions with securing permits and handling other logistics and works hand-in-hand with film commissions in the Wilmington, Research Triangle, Piedmont Triad, Charlotte and Western regions.


More: continued here

New charter school bill would shield employee names

Friday, July 25th, 2014

The bill, which was sent to a conference committee for further revisions, was approved 62-36.

More: continued here

Coast Guard rescues 10 boaters near Bald Head Island

Friday, July 25th, 2014

The Coast Guard rescued 10 people stranded aboard a 22-foot pontoon boat that began taking on water Thursday morning.

More: continued here

Funeral for 2-year-old boy run over by car today; Likely no charges filed

Friday, July 25th, 2014

PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A funeral service for 2-year-old Carter L. Gilson is scheduled to begin at 5:00 p.m. at Coble Ward-Smith Funeral Home.

Investigators say Gilson was run over by 28-year-old Stevie Wallace over the weekend in a private driveway.

The District Attorney’s office told us Friday morning that charges will most likely not be filed.

On his online obituary page, his parents say that Carter loved fishing with his daddy, riding anything with wheels: skateboards, power wheels, bicycles, and being pushed around mostly; playing with any and every kind of sports balls, playing with his brothers and sisters, being held by his mommy when he was sick and only mommy, making chocolate milk, body boarding, going to the beach, and building things at Lowe’s Kids Workshop.

You can read more here: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Carter…


More: continued here

Federal judge denies new trial for MacDonald

Friday, July 25th, 2014

A federal judge has denied Jeffrey MacDonald’s latest bid for a new trial.

More: continued here



News provided by WWAY NewsChannel 3 and the StarNewsOnline

|Home| |Events| |Attractions| |Accommodations| |Restaurants| |Golf| |Beaches| |Jobs| |Getting Here| |Climate| |Directory| |News| |Advertise| |Contact Us|

  Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina